Edward Ratcliffe Garth Russell "Teddy" Evans
Navigator and second in command
Captain of the Terra Nova - Lieutenant, R.N.
(1880 - 1957) - Biographical notes

Second Officer - Morning 1902-04
First Officer - Lieutenant, R.N. - Terra Nova 1910-13

Edward EvansBorn in London, the son of a barrister into a respectable middle class family, though as a young child along with his two brothers frequently misbehaved to the point where for a time he was sent to a school for "troublesome boys". He attempted to enter the Royal Navy as a cadet but was turned down, success at a training ship mainly for the merchant navy eventually won him a place as a midshipman on HMS Hawke. He had met Scott on HMS Majestic, after Scott's Discovery expedition had sailed, Evans  read about a relief ship the "Morning" which was to be sent a year later in 1902, after writing to and then meeting Sir Clements Markham Evans was seconded from the navy to be Second Officer on the Morning. Evans made two trips from New Zealand to Antarctica on the Morning spending the austral winter in between in New Zealand on a British navy ship stationed there. He considered applying to Shackleton's Nimrod expedition but thought it important for his career to remain in the navy.

In 1909 he started planning his own expedition to Antarctica with Markham's support, though on hearing of Scott's new expedition, he abandoned his own plans and was appointed second-in-command of the expedition and Captain of the Terra Nova. Scott named the first landing site on Ross Island, Cape Evans in his honour and Evans joined the shore party leaving the Terra Nova under the command of Pennell. Evans was involved in depot laying in advance for the polar party and after the winter was in charge of the four man "Motor Party", the first to set out as part of the South Pole attempt, their task was to carry and depot more supplies. The motor sledges were not successful being unreliable at best, the first broke down completely after five days followed by the other one a day later leading to a rearrangement of loads onto a single sledge and manhauling at about the same speed as before. Evans was in the last group to be turned back 160 miles from the pole after not being selected for the final Pole Party, by this time, he and Lashly had pulled loaded sledges for 600 miles in over 2 months.

The journey back was difficult for Evans, he developed snow blindness and began to show the signs of scurvy, he was weakened and in pain, after two weeks he was being pulled on the sledge by his companions Lashly and Crean. Evans was the only one to suffer from scurvy to the degree that he did, the cause probably being that he avoided eating seal meat through the winter especially the liver because he didn't like it, and so didn't get the supplies of vitamin C that those who ate it did.

On the 13th of Feb what Evans later referred to as "the first and last time my orders as a naval officer were disobeyed" occurred when he tried to order his companions to leave him. A blizzard stopped them four days later 35 miles from the hut, Lashly stayed with Evans while Crean walked for 18 hours when he met with Atkinson, Gerov and a dog team at hut Point. They retrieved Evans and Lashly when the weather improved, Evans was close to death, and was carefully taken back to the hut. He was placed on the Terra Nova and remained bedridden until April when the ship reached New Zealand. He initially returned to England, before going back to New Zealand to command the Terra Nova on her final relief journey to Antarctica. When he learned of Scott's death on January 13th 1913, he assumed command of the expedition and arranged the final departure from the continent.

Evans returned to the Royal Navy serving with distinction and receiving promotion and the Distinguished Service Order in the WW1, he became Rear Admiral Commanding HM Australian Squadron in 1928 and a full admiral in 1936. He served in the Norwegian Campaign at the start of the Second World War before retiring at the age of 60 in 1941. He became a peer in 1945 as Baron Mountevans amongst the many honours and awards he was given from a number of countries in his lifetime, he died in Norway in 1957. He took the name Baron Mountevans from Mount Evans in Antarctica named for him by Robert Scott on the 1901-04 British National Antarctic Expedition on the Discovery.

28 October 1880 - 20 August 1957

Edward Evans observing an occultation of Jupiter
Edward Evans observing an occultation of Jupiter, June 8th 1911
Edward Evans with sledging theodolite

Edward Evans with sledging theodolite

Landmarks named after Edward Evans

Feature Name: Cape Evans
Latitude: 77°38'21S
Longitude: 166°24'07E
Description: Rocky cape on the W side of Ross Island, forming the N side of the entrance to Erebus Bay. Discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition (BrNAE) (1901-04) under Scott, who named it the Skuary. Scott's second expedition, the British Antarctic Expedition (BrAE) (1910-13), built its headquarters here, renaming the cape for Lieutenant Edward R.G.R. Evans, Royal Navy (RN), second in command of the expedition.

Feature Name: Mount Evans
Latitude: 77°15'20S
Longitude: 162°28'28E
Description: Mountain with a double summit rising to 1,420 m, dominating the central part of Saint Johns Range in Victoria Land. Discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition (BrNAE) (1901-04) under Scott, who named it for Lieutenant Edward R.G.R. Evans.
Biographical information - I am concentrating on the Polar experiences of the men involved. Any further information or pictures visitors may have is gratefully received. Please email  - Paul Ward, webmaster.

What are the chances that my ancestor was an unsung part of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration?