Entrance to the original (1957) station in 1974
Back to thumbnails
- 1974-75 - Antarcticans Database Project
The maintenance entrance to the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station opened in 1957. This picture, from the summer 1974, shows the extensive amount of snow covering the Station. Perhaps it is misleading to use the term snow instead of ice. Large snowflakes dont fall at the Pole. Rather, the precipitation consists of very fine, almost imperceptible ice crystals. The wood building and black dome in the upper left of the image is the weather station. The building in the upper right with the clear domes housed scientific instrumentation. Two Navy maintenance men are seen entering the Station.