Antarctica Project Starter
- Power Point Presentation
Ages 14-16. A presentation
for use by teachers to start an extended project on Antarctica
with a focus on governance, regulations and how to preserve
Antarctica while also utilizing it.
geography, science, English
presentation - click to open or download
8 Mb - 24 slides. Suitable for ages 14 - 16.
Alternate file types, open or download: .pdf .mp4
Associated file - "Penguin Plan" - students checklist. Download: Word file | .pdf
This was originally written for students in the UK to help them prepare for their age 16 external examination coursework (GCSE). It has been modified to form a good basis for any coursework / projects for the 14-16 age group from any educational system.
Adaptation is encouraged as long as the copyright guidelines below are adhered to.Copyright: Material on these pages is copyright Rachael Peryer / Paul Ward / CoolAntarctica.com. It may be used as a presentation or printed for personal or public performance as long as it is not for direct or indirect commercial use (no pay to view, no use behind a paywall). It may be altered or modified, but not made publically available or transmitted to others in original or modified form without the written permission of Paul Ward / CoolAntarctica.com. Don't even think about trying to sell this free resource.
Project Penguin Plan
Tick off the points as you complete them
Your report on Antarctica should cover:
- What is Antarctica like?
- How is Antarctica used by people?
- What are the effects of these uses on the ecosystem?
- How can these pressures be managed?
- What are the aims of the Antarctic Treaty?
- What do different group of people think about the way Antarctica is managed?
- What do you think?
What is Antarctica like?
- Describe the location of Antarctica.
- What are the key features of Antarctica?
- How big is the continent?
- What is the landscape like? What else lives there?
- What is the climate like?
- Why is the climate like this?
How is Antarctica used by people?
Whaling and fishing - Scientists - Mining - The hole in the Ozone layer - Territorial claims - Tourism - Global Warming.
How can the pressures on Antarctica be managed?
- The Antarctic Treaty.
- What are the different viewpoints about Antarctica and the way it should be used?
- Different people have different views