The Remains of Northumberland House Beechey Island
Back to gallery | Back to Thumbs | Previous | Next
The remains of Northumberland House erected in 1852-1853 by the crew of HMS North Star under the command of W.J.S. Pullen. This was one of five ships of the British Admiralty's final effort to trace the expedition of Sir John Franklin led by Sir Edward Belcher. The building was constructed from masts and other wood salvaged from a wrecked whaler. It was built in case the missing members of Franklin's expedition should return to Beechey Island even though this was 7 years after they had last been seen.
In May 1854 Belcher ordered 4 of the 5 ships to be abandoned as they were ice-bound, the fifth, the Resolute was retrieved by an American whaler. Belcher was court martialled on return to England for the loss of these ships but acquitted.
Air temp: +3ºC Latitude: 74º43'N Longitude: 91º48'W
Photo; © Paul Ward - These are pictures from a cruise to the High Arctic in high summer, from Resolute Bay, Canada to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland.