Cape Adare Antarctica

Back to gallery  |  Back to Thumbs  |  Previous  |  Next

Cape Adare

Cape Adare is located at the end of the Adare Peninsula in Victoria Land, part of the Ross Sea area of Antarctica 71°17'S 170°14'E. It was first discovered and named by James Ross in 1841. The name comes from Ross's friend Viscount Adare after Adare in county Limerick, Ireland.

The area is most famous for being the site of the first planned overwintering in Antarctica by Carsten Borchgrevink and the crew of the Southern Cross expedition of 1898-1900. This was also the place where the first permanent structure in Antarctica was constructed, this hut has been the subject of recent conservation work.

Cape Adare is the site of one of the largest Adelie penguin colonies in the Ross Sea area of Antarctica with around 250,000 breeding pairs at the height of the season.

Photo; © Mike Usher - Pictures from an icebreaker cruise to Eastern Antarctica.