Looking out to sea from the slope
above the whalers church at Grytviken, South Georgia.
Grytviken is the site of an abandoned
whaling station and currently active British Antarctic Survey
research base on the north coast of South Georgia at 54° 17'S, 36°
30'W. It also has the South Georgia Museum which is in the building
that was formerly the house of the whaling station manager.
The name means "pot cove" in
Swedish, so called in 1902 by Johan Gunnar Anderson after
the old "try pots" he found there, a relic of earlier
activity by English sealers.
Grytviken is a very popular
site for tourist ships to visit.
These are pictures from
a trip to Antarctica in the summer of 2010 - 2011 for the purpose of
researching former whaling stations and companies by Ulf Gustafsson
of the University of Groningen in the Netherlands.
copyright Ulf Gustafsson.