Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Possible for an archivist/records manager to get at job in Antarctica? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible for an archivist/records manager to get at job in Antarctica?

Hello,

According to this website

http://antarctica.kulgun.net/Jobs/

"any job that is done in the "real" world is done in Antarctica. What ever you do now, is probably done in Antarctica." It also says that even managers work in Antarctica. I'm a Swedish archivist and records manager with a bachelor's degree in history and a master's degree in archival science. Do you think i can get a job in Antarctica with my education? I would really love to work there.

Regards,
    Mikael

Re: Possible for an archivist/records manager to get at job in Antarctica?

Hi, I don't want to say an outright "no", but you have to think about the kinds of jobs that need doing in Antarctica. It's basically a place where science happens and everything is directed towards making the science happen. It's expensive to get people there and they aren't there for long, so accessing archives is something that will be done before going or on returning.

You may be successful in getting a job in Antarctica but I'd be pretty surprised if it's anything directly to do with what you are doing now.

Comment

OK, thanks Paul for your reply. But then I can't understand how they can have managers there as it stands on that website. I don't think there are archives in Antarctica, but if they have managers they may also have records managers (i.e. not archivists) who manage the records at the offices. But I'm not sure if Antarctic research stations have that kind of offices.

Comment

This gives an idea of the jobs on offer at McMurdo, easliy the largest base in Antarctica (they even employ hairstylists rather than doing your own or each others as happens elsewhere).

"Manager" is such a wide description, specific skills directly applicable to Antarctica are more sought after, then again, don't give up and if you don't ask you don't get.
        Last edited by Paul Ward; 14th January 2013, 09:24.

Comment

Thanks again Paul. It's a litte sad for me that these jobs require a US citizenship ...

Comment

Working...
          X