Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited generalist pushing 40

Hello,
    Fun to find this place of so much excitement toward Antarctica. I am pushing 40 and have experience in IT, teaching, environmental consulting, music and taxi driving. I will look for a generalist position. (I wonder what judges talk about when they are cleaning toilets?)

My question is about the physical screening. How do they do it? Do you go see a doctor, do they check your records, or is it more casual?

I ask because I had a bad back problem for a couple of months last year. I have since been carrying a 50 lb pack around Asia and up NZ mountains without trouble. So I think I am fit. But it is in my record and if that is how they do the screening, am I out of luck?

Thanks very much and good luck everyone! Maybe we'll meet "on the ice" someday!

Re: Excited generalist pushing 40

Originally posted by Roon
    My question is about the physical screening. How do they do it? Do you go see a doctor, do they check your records, or is it more casual?
    Hi Roon and welcome to the board. Yes they will check your records and yes they will get you to see a doctor. This happened to me when I was 21 when I applied and things have become more stringent since.

However what decision they make will depend partly on the job you are up for and where you are. My job was pretty physical (Marine Biologist. handling fishing nets, diving) and also at that time and on that base everyone was also a generalist, for instance, we all had to manually bring ashore many tons of cargo from boats.

You don't know until you try, so go ahead and apply! Like anywhere else, you need to be fit enough for the job you are applying for and different jobs have different requirements.

Comment

Re: Excited generalist pushing 40

Thanks Paul. Really appreciate that and your answer is the best I could hope for given the conditions down there. I'm going to go for it.

Diving in Antarctica, ay? Yes, you are the "Ice Master" then. Wow. I just finished my first 28 dives in Malaysia and Thailand. An easy 30.0C and magnificent.

Take it easy.

Comment

Working...
      X