Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding work in Antarctica

Hi...

My Names Jaytee and Im new to the community.

I thought I would intro myself to you all! .. Im 40 years old and am a former serving Royal Marine from Great Britain. Im very passionate about living and working in Antarctica and would welcome any friendship or assitance in trying to achieve this life goal.

Thank You

Jaytee...

Re: Finding work in Antarctica

Hi Jaytee and welcome to the forum. If you live in the UK, then your best bet to go to Antractica is with British Antarctic Survey - see the thread elsewhere in this section - though their site has been offline for a few days, I'm sure it will come back soon.

Realistically though, you are a bit old to go down unless you have some particular skill or ability that is required.

Other than BAS you could maybe crew on a ship, but again age is an issue if you've never done this before.

The US take a much wider variety of people and ages, but you have to be a US citizen to stand a chance.

Comment

Hi Jaytee,

Actually, as long as you're fit and well, BAS should have no problem with your age - you'll just have a few extra checks in the medical which everyone gets before going South.

Although most people on the BAS bases tend to be in their 20s and 30s, there have certainly been recent winterers who have been approaching 50, and summer-only staff significantly older than that. In fact older people on base often supply a much-needed calming influence to any hot-headed youngsters...

Not that 40 is particularly old though!!!

As Paul has already said, try the BAS website, their Personnel team are very helpful and should give you some pointers if you're keen to go.

Best of luck, Sue

Comment

Paul/Sue

I very much appreciate the kind help and assistance, I realised I was no spring chicken but as Sue pointed out with age comes a calming influence and experience. I used to look after young Marine recruits and have a natural affinity for working with younger people in extreme conditions.

I have posted my resume off and sent a covering letter to BAS...in the hope that something positive will come of it. Again let me thank you both for taking the time to give input...

Sue - Thanks for your kind words and reassurance. I very much gave value to them!

Take care and stay close

Jaytee..

Comment

Seems I'm somewhat out of touch Sue. When I was South no-one over 40 was allowed to winter and people over 30 were a definite rarity. The reason I thought 40 was old and you didn't!

I think it's a far better idea to allow older, more mature people to winter than keeping the age down ( well I would now I'm over 40 myself!).

Good luck Jaytee, come back and let us know if you're successful.

Comment

Hi Paul,

The more relaxed policy on age seems to work fine, and you're right, older people contribute a lot to base stability (although their zimmer frames tend to get in the way...)

Some of the old timers are ex-FIDS who want a second bite of the cherry after a good few years at home - I can see your CV winging its way to BAS right now!!!

Sue

Comment

Paul/Sue

Seems Ive stirred up some debate... sorry for that ... I just want to thank you both for the advice and sharing of personal experience... thank you!

I will keep you posted...

Jaytee...

Comment

Working...
              X