X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my odds?

So, like everyone else, I want to get a job with RPSC. I've spent a few hundred dollars to go to the job fair in April, and I'm curious to see what you think my odds are.

My qualifications:

1 term in the US Air Force as a loadmaster on C130s. I have combat deployment experience in the Middle East. I hope they take that as a sign I can handle the ice.

Currently, I'm finishing up my bachelor's at UC Berkeley in business administration. I have a 1460 SAT and 3.9 GPA. In terms of practical experience, I have quite a few extracurriculars, but my biggest selling points are an internship doing biotech management consulting, and this summer I'll be working as an investment banking analyst for Goldman Sachs.

Being a business major has helped me develop my networking skills, so I think I'll be able to generate some good leads at the job fair. My biggest concern is work experience; I'll be a cook or janitor or whatever they can find for me, but my only relevant experience seems to be my time in the Air Force which shows I can handle the stress and isolation. Will my finance and consulting background even do a thing for me?

Finally, how flexible are they on experience for the management/supervisory jobs? If I have the option, I'd like to take a job that is at least somewhat applicable to my future career plans.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: What are my odds?

Hi Chulls,

There are many jobs that are very well paid and where experience is sought after in the rest of the world that just don't exist in Antarctica, I'm afraid your consulting and finance experience fit into that category.

Antarctica is about science and so the people who work there are either scientists or practical support for the scientists.

On the positive side, your wider experiences and handling difficult situations, with presumeably the need to be adaptable and make things work with whatever is available even if it is far short of ideal will be far more to your advantage. The challenges of Antarctica are very different however.

Flexibility is the key in your position, the willingness to consider any position as available. Do make as many contacts as you can (without being a pest!) and do keep trying, tenacity does work in the end.

Good luck and please come back and tell us how you got on at the fair.

Comment

Re: What are my odds?

I'm in the same boat as Paul...I'm wondering what my chances for a job with Raytheon are as well. I'm 21 years old...Second Class Petty Officer in the US Navy. I'm an Advanced Submarine Electronics Technician, and have experience in communications and navigation equipment. I'm about three semesters away from a bachelor's degree. I'm a damn good electronics tech, and might even pass for an electrician on a good day. I get out of the Navy pretty soon, and I'd like to try and find a job down there. I'm obsessed with Antarctica, and I gotta go there. Any advice on what jobs to apply for, or how to make my experiences look more attractive, or advice on getting in on the inside track? Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
      X