X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots in Antarctica....

Okay, I've heard of the Uggs, but what about the New Rocks? I own a pair, but are they good for Antarctica as far as traction goes? After all I don't want to slip and fall on my a** the whole time I'm there. If I don't have to buy new boots I don't want to. Are the Uggs gonna keep me from slipping on ice anyway? Say the expedition I'm on includes a hike? Is there a certain type of tread I should be looking for. here's a of pic link of what my tread looks like:
    Last edited by Paul Ward; 8th February 2012, 20:52. Reason: Dead link removed

Re: Boots in Antarctica....

New Rock - are they the types with massive thick soles?

http://fastorder.newrockworld.com/me....1010-S1_2.jpg

It's not just a question of sole tread, but also sole material, flexibility, waterproofness etc. In general boots that are designed to be fashionable rather than functional are not what I'd want to be walking around Antarctica in.

If they are the thick-soled types, then don't even think about it, it sounds like an unneccessary handicap to give yourself to me. If in doubt get in contact with your cruise company, they sometimes have lists of recommended kit and may lend/hire boots from the ship for shore visits.
    Last edited by Paul Ward; 8th February 2012, 20:56.

Comment

I'm going to agree with Paul. Function before fashion - and from I've heard, I think Uggs are mostly fashion.

That said, a great deal depends on where you are going. In the interior, waterproof is not a necessity, but lots of insulation is. On the coast in the summer, it is the opposite. That said, you will still want some insulation. Ask your tour company.

As for the tread - you'll want some, but it isn't terribly important. Pretty much all treads will slip on ice - or, alternately, you won't want to wear it inside. Yak-trax (a commercial product) are popular for use on ice and firn.

A Canadian company called Baffin reportedly makes some good warm boots, but those are much more than you are liable to need.

Comment

Sooo what about having some good dire-maker boots with ice clips on them?

Not so groovy for the night clubs but very practicle! I've never heard of the uggs but I'm sure they look good from all the hype!

Comment

I used to carry crampons - full or instep according to season - and they are fantastic for being able to get places where otherwise would be impossible.

You need proper mountain boots to put them on though, 3/4 or fully stiffened.

Comment

Well thats what dire boots are..... semi stiffened cold rock climbers....

And as far as the crampons go... I like the ones you step into like ski bindings..... you just step into them! they are groovy!

Comment

The original poster was asking about boots for a tour to the peninsula during the summer.

That is a world away from the proper boots for a South Pole winter.

McMurdo - summer and winter - is somewhere in between. Raytheon provides well-insulated work boots for McMurdo. There aren't any work boots good enough for a South Pole summer, much less a South Pole winter - so they provide FDX boots or Bunny Boots (formerly known as Mickey Mouse boots, which now refer to a black version of the same thing).

I know some people trying Baffin boots for the South Pole winter, but otherwise - FDX and Bunny boots have to do. Of course, there's very little going outside during the winter in any case, and certainly not for more than an hour.

Me, I wore FDX boots with the boot liners and three pairs of socks (sock liners, polar fleece, and wool). That worked pretty well down to 60 below - though I started to feel just a little of the cold after spending several hours at 60 below (F).

Comment

Working...
              X