Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antarctica Project in a Can

OK - so maybe not a can, but at least a webpage:

http://www.coolantarctica.com/school...esson_plan.htm

This is a joint effort between a long-time CoolAntarctica poster (95%) and myself (5% - tidying up and colouring-in).

I think it's a brilliant starting point for any number of Antarctica projects, the chances are that you won't use it exactly as it is (the best lessons are always those you write yourself and don't just lift from elsewhere).

If you're about to invent a new wheel, it's a lot easier to start with an almost circular starting point and then adapt the details to what you want.

Feedback appreciated - did you use it? how did you use it? what did you replace? what did you add?
    Last edited by Paul Ward; 17th October 2006, 22:08.

Re: Antarctica Project in a Can

Dear Paul,

I checked it out and thought it was brilliant!

psr

Comment

Just a bit of a scrounge really...

I'm going to start doing this as of next term (we should be starting in a fortnight), but I was just wondering what I should ask of the kids to start with? Do I get them all small exercise books? Do they work on A4? Do they just sit and listen? I can think of good and bad things for all of these and just wondered what people thought would be the best to use.

I'll be making lesson plans for the sessions so when I've used them and when I have an idea as to how well they worked... I'll post them on here for others to have a look at.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel.

p.s. and of course... the guest speaker is going to be my dad!!

Comment

Dear Rachel,

This is just a few ideas to start with which should work across all age groups with minor variations. You could start with a discussion and a chart to list student ideas - a bit like a mind map. List student knowledge of Antarctica, and also make a list on another chart of what they would like to know (find out). Also, devise a set of "discovery" questions with the kids which you guide so that you achieve learning outcomes and at the same time kids feel that they have made them up themselves (Follow Bloom's Taxonomy).

Also list possible places you could go to for information, including the net. Before beginning, it's a good idea to designate an "Antarctica" display section in your class (I used the corridor outside our room). Give it a theme name. Let the kids come up with that. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Display all charts and track what you've done with the ideas you've come up with.

You could use an exercise book for draft work. Kids like to work on projects in groups so with each new task they could write their reports in the exercise book and then write out final reports for display on cardboard or A4. PPT presentations are also good fun (at the end when the kids have sufficient background knowledge). We turned the corridor into an icy cave and stuck icicles and stuck garbage bags to the ceiling to make it look dark. It was fun but for a short person, almost impossible!!

I hope that was helpful and I'm not sure what background you have so if I've told things you already know just let me know

Good luck.

psr

Comment

Working...
        X