X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Project

Hello i'm new to the forums and I have a school project for 7th grade titled: "Antarctica: Mining and its Environmental Impact". I am required to interview an expert on the subject, and I was wondering if anyone would mind answering a few questions for me. Please PM or E-Mail at chaozdesigns@gmail.com for more info. Also my report is due June 21 so the sooner the better.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Paul Ward; 25th June 2006, 11:52.

Re: Help With Project

Realistically no-one is going to do what you want. Also, I don't believe "I am required to interview an expert on the subject" no teacher would set this requirement.

Comment

[Hi Mr. Ward - I know, I too, was surprised that my teacher is requiring me to interview someone. Here's the requirement on my assignment: "You must include at least one interview from an expert in the field of your topic. Not your parent, relative, sibling, or K12 teacher! Phone interviews are acceptable. Internet interviews have proved inadequate, although direct email has worked. Ten interview questions must be teacher pre-approved before your interview." So, I would really appreciate it if you could answer my ten questions.

Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

OK, well I think your teacher needs a slap, but I'm in a generous mood, so I'll help to some degree, tell him/her you did it by good looks and charm.

You still need to do a lot of the work though

10 Interview Questions
        • What future problems do you believe could arise from this issue?
        What issue?

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarc...antarctica.htm
        • How big of an effect would mining have on the animals?
        http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarc...mining_oil.htm
        • What did spending time in Antarctica teach you about Antarctica?
        Antractica matters, is unique and valuble beyond measure as it is without being tampered with.
        • Do you believe mining should be allowed in Antarctica?
        Nope
        • What is your opinion on the Treaty of Antarctica?
        Jolly good idea
        • Throughout your career, what is the most important idea you took away from your studies?
        If you care enough, you can make a difference.
        • What do you think about what is happening in Australia about this situation?
        No idea, I don't live in Australia.
        • Do you think that if allowed, mining would completely ruin Antarctica?s Environment?
        In small localities, but not in the whole. Mining happens in your country, but probably doesn't ruin the whole environment.
        • What are you currently doing to help with this issue?
        I run a website to raise awareness that gets millions of visitors per year.
        • If mining was allowed, in your opinion, would the world benefit or not benefit?
        Overall - not, the costs would be greater than the benefits.

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Dear Paul,
            I haven't been here for a while so I am obviously missing out on quite a lot! By the way, what is supposed to be happening in Australia?? I haven't heard anything about Antarctica in the news and besides isn't it a bit inactive at the moment??? I totally agree with you Paul. That teacher does need a slap and make it a hard one....what kind of dumb assignment is that anyway? what happened to making kids do projects in class so that you can guide and scaffold? Must admit though chaos, you're pretty sassy for a 7th grader!! I'm not familiar with your education system but is that equivalent to first year high school (age between 12 - 13 years)?
            psr

Comment

Hi psr,

gald you agree, thought I might be a bit harsh there!

Looks like I misread the info too, I was assuming the pupil was from Australia, but it looks like he/she wasn't. I guess the issue is this one in that case:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Nation...519757669.html

Year 7 in the UK is ages 11-12, but we don't refer to them as 7th-graders. So maybe ChaosCarrot is from the US or elsewhere?

p.s. did you receive my cd? - don't worry, just seen your pm!
              Last edited by Paul Ward; 18th June 2006, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ward
                Hi psr,

gald you agree, thought I might be a bit harsh there!

Looks like I misread the info too, I was assuming the pupil was from Australia, but it looks like he/she wasn't. I guess the issue is this one in that case:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Nation...519757669.html

Year 7 in the UK is ages 11-12, but we don't refer to them as 7th-graders. So maybe ChaosCarrot is from the US or elsewhere?

p.s. did you receive my cd? - don't worry, just seen your pm!
                Yes, I do live in U.S.A and I am 13, this is a final project for my science class. 7th grade is not high school, but as we call it here "Middle School". For the Australia issue, that is the one I was referring to, though I apologize for the poor wording of the question. Once again, thank you for answering my questions.

Comment

Thanks for that ChaosCarrot, I always assumed year-7/7th-grade etc. were the same everywhere, seems it's not.

Comment

mining in antarctica? seriously?

~"hey if there's land we'll screw it up, you better believe it" ~people in charge

Comment

Ohhh! That Antarctica issue!! Well, you know how it is living down under, One's head gets a little fuzzy at times and our super intelligent politicians do tend to get a little carried away! They don't really have jobs so they have to invent them!!
                      Not to worry, The Australians won't be mining in Antarctica.....not yet anyway, but if this drought continues we'll probably have to chop down a few icebergs! Presently Water is the most wanted natural resource!!

psr

Comment

Working...
                      X