Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

march of the penguins

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • march of the penguins

    i believe this was brought up before, but has anyone seen this? it looks good!

  • #2
    It's a pretty good movie, but make sure you, and the people you're going to see it with, know it's a documentary. When I went to see it my companions thought it was everything from an animated feature to a movie about exploration in the antarctic (some of them actually fell asleep during it ...), the trailer is very misleading.

    But once you get that sorted out it's definintally worth seeing. The filming is great, although some of the bits without narration do drag on.

    Oh yeah, if you have a choice see the American version (instead of the european one). In the European version the penguins are meant to be the narrators, which makes it a quite bizarre movie.

    Comment


    • #3
      The producer sent us a copy of the French version (we're at Palmer Station, Antarctica). Mucho thanks to them! I liked it, but I think I want to see the English version. The anthropomorphism -- talking, singing -- of the penguins was weird.

      Wonderful photography. It looks like they had the same problem I've experienced when photographing king and emperor penguins: the eyes are back, and set against black feathers, so they're hard to see. But overall it was amazing.

      Zut alores! I should study my French so I can be a part of the next expedition... :wink:

      Comment


      • #4
        Following the success of the film "March of the Penguins" in theaters this year, comedian Bob Saget is reported to be working on a mocumentary called "Farce of the Penguins" featuring roasting penguins and penguins in ladies underwear. The movie will feature adult language and a mix of both authentic and computer generated footage. The film's tagline is "What happens in Antarctica, stays in Antarctica."


        not one of america's greater humanitarians. i think he's russian.

        Comment


        • #5
          Seal suicide site found in Antarctica
          Posted by jh on 15 July 2005

          The Press, Christchurch: New Zealand researchers have found a bizarre seal suicide site in Antarctica, where dozens of seals have inexplicably left the ocean, travelled 30km inland and gone over a bluff to their deaths.

          it's amazing this happend before the release of this movie rather then afterwords.

          Comment


          • #6
            uh, that's pretty messed up. i haven't gotten to see this movie yet. i was supposed to see it for my birthday, but it closed the day before.....sooo pissed off about that, but does anyone know the dvd release date for? :mrgreen:

            Comment


            • #7
              Wait, i've got another one....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: march of the penguins

                this is a good movie, they should make one about whales now documenting their enviornment and the threats they pose from whalers.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: march of the penguins

                  Originally posted by koldK
                  i believe this was brought up before, but has anyone seen this? it looks good!
                  Yes, tonight and I really enjoyed it so much that I signed up on this site.
                  The movie was fascinating and informative. I was enlightened. I wish more movies were made like this for everyone to be somewhat educated alittle on who we share the world with. Go see it or rent it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: march of the penguins

                    Originally posted by Dracling
                    It's a pretty good movie, but make sure you, and the people you're going to see it with, know it's a documentary. When I went to see it my companions thought it was everything from an animated feature to a movie about exploration in the antarctic (some of them actually fell asleep during it ...), the trailer is very misleading.

                    But once you get that sorted out it's definintally worth seeing. The filming is great, although some of the bits without narration do drag on.

                    Oh yeah, if you have a choice see the American version (instead of the european one). In the European version the penguins are meant to be the narrators, which makes it a quite bizarre movie.
                    Yes, I agree. They should make many movies especially on the going to be extinct list of animals, mammals, etc. This would be a very good vehicle to inform the public and perhaps one can stop for a minute and think about the creatures in this world we all share and live in and strive to survive in on this planet called "Mother Earth". We need to respect one another.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: march of the penguins

                      Originally posted by koldK
                      Seal suicide site found in Antarctica
                      Posted by jh on 15 July 2005

                      The Press, Christchurch: New Zealand researchers have found a bizarre seal suicide site in Antarctica, where dozens of seals have inexplicably left the ocean, travelled 30km inland and gone over a bluff to their deaths.

                      it's amazing this happend before the release of this movie rather then afterwords.
                      I am sick to hear of that. What can we do about it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: march of the penguins

                        Originally posted by ladyjanuary
                        Yes, I agree. They should make many movies especially on the going to be extinct list of animals, mammals, etc. This would be a very good vehicle to inform the public and perhaps one can stop for a minute and think about the creatures in this world we all share and live in and strive to survive in on this planet called "Mother Earth". We need to respect one another.

                        I was just watching a documentary on all of the many species of frogs going extinct in certain places, i am convinced earths eco systems are not doing so well, they are backwards so to speak. some would argue and say it's natural cycle, but when you look at the consequences from the tropics heating and heating of other places, from the frogs and other bottom food chain creatures dieing i see insect boom, i think insect boom leads to disease. science can only keep up with the degradation of the enviornment for so long.
                        there are already stakes by different countries for the oil deposits when the north pole melts enough to drill. each county gets a chunk of the ocean floor.
                        they worry about oil while i worry about wacky weather. not to say i'm some enviornmental hippy or extremeist but more so common sense. if common sense is animal exstinction and big business then we's gots a big problem.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: march of the penguins

                          Originally posted by ladyjanuary
                          I am sick to hear of that. What can we do about it?
                          not much

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: march of the penguins

                            Originally posted by ladyjanuary
                            I am sick to hear of that. What can we do about it?
                            Does anyone have the link to the original article?

                            The dry valleys region has many apparent seal "suicides" mainly of crabeater seals. The carcasses just sit around and mummify in the endless drying cold wind (freeze-dry I guess) and can be up to thousands of years old.

                            When people come across them it seems like some single disasterous event, but in reality each seal probably died tens or even hundreds of years apart from the others and they are rare events. Not sure if this reported event is like that - suspect it might be though.

                            Why do they do it?

                            No-one knows, but seals will go surprising distances out of the sea sometimes. It is thought that maybe they get disoriented, losing the direction of the sea. The dry valleys are ringed with glaciers and ice-caps and maybe the seals think they represent the sea and so start heading off towards them getting even further from the sea. Seals don't have great eye-sight out of the water.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: march of the penguins

                              http://www.70south.com/news/1121400680/index_html

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X