Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting feature on Markham Island

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y....+21+11.41.jpg

-74.593251 164.922933

This view of Markham Island is from Google earth's most recent (2009) imagery in the area. The circular feature does not look like an imagery anomaly. Shadow and degree of detail seem to match local imagery - but I've been fooled by anomalies before. Does anyone in this forum have an idea?

Re: Interesting feature on Markham Island

It's a frozen freshwater lake. It appears more prominent as there is little other snow or ice on the island and it unusually circular.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ward View Post
      It's a frozen freshwater lake. It appears more prominent as there is little other snow or ice on the island and it unusually circular.
      Thanks for your verification. That is what it looks like, but it seems so improbable. Is Markam Island an old volcanic feature? If the lake is a caldera, that would be a reason for the circular shape.

I've searched for images or even detailed maps on the web, but haven't found any. Do you know of any sources?

Comment

I don't think it's a caldera, the shadows imply the peaks are to one side and that it's in the lower slopes. I don't know of any map of Markham Island online and can't find one. It's not that far from McMurdo however so there may be one if you look more extensively. There is reference online to water samples taken from the lake on Markham Island though.
        Last edited by Paul Ward; 24th June 2013, 20:37.

Comment

Yes, I found that and looked at the papers published by the principal investigators (ANDREOLI C., SCARABEL L., SPINI S., GRASSI C.), but alas, no images. Thanks for your help in verifying the lake.

Comment

Working...
          X