X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Ice Oct 9

I"M IN MCMURDO!!! It's cold and windy but awesome!!

~Zak

Re: On Ice Oct 9

Wow! How long did it take you from Home to Antarctica? Good journey? Did you see Alan or has he left now?

I'm jealous.

Comment

It took about a week. I had to fly to denver for orientation for 2 days then I flew for two days to Christchurch. I had a couple days there. Christchurch was amazing really sweet city, I can't wait to spend time there on the way back. Then I flew to Mcmurdo. It was a long trip and I'm glad I'm finally here. I didn't see Alan I think he left the day I arrived and I was pretty much packed into a vehicle as soon as I hit the ice and then put into a room for more briefings. But I'm liking it a lot so far

~Zak

Comment

Originally posted by Zak
        I"M IN MCMURDO!!! It's cold and windy but awesome!!

~Zak
        We must have passed each other out at Pegasus - there were a LOT of people on your plane. I think I counted about 100 seats when I got on to fly North.

Anyways, I've been hanging out in Chch for a few days now. Should be moving on before long. I'm still working out the details of where I'll go.

BTW, I was wrong about one item in the advice I gave to people going south. It looks like the NSF has NOT suspended airmail packages out of Antarctica. At least, not yet, but they have been considering it.

Alan

Comment

yea there were around a hundred people in my deployment group. about 1/3 of the people are going to move on to Pole. I still can't believe I'm here every time I look out a window I'm still amazed at what I see. It's so amazing!!

~Zak

Comment

yea there were around a hundred people in my deployment group. about 1/3 of the people are going to move on to Pole. I still can't believe I'm here, every time I look out a window I'm still surprised at what I see. It's so amazing!!

~Zak

Comment

Lucky man!

I guess it was worth every effort you have made.

Comment

I see the site is finally back up...thanks, Paul! Guess that huge volume swamped yer little server, eh???

Anyhoo, what's the word from down on The Ice???

Comment

Working...
                X