• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my deployment dates!!!

I'm so excited!!!

I leave october 3rd for denver
    Oct 5th to LA then to Sydney
    (only in sydney for an hour time difference and long flight I lose a day)
    Oct 7th to Christchurch

Not sure exactly when I land on the ice but it's around this time

- zak

Re: I got my deployment dates!!!

Exciting times!

You now enter a sort of unreal time. I remember waking up one morning during my journey south (on a ship as it happens) and thinking "I wonder where I am". I had taken a trip around my mates before I went South and slept in so many different places in such a short time that I temporarily had no idea what continent I was on even - and it transpired I wasn't on any but in the Antarctic Ocean somewhere.

Keep us posted Zak, prepare as well as you can but be prepared to be amazed by your experience.

Comment

It looks like I may be on my way out as you're on your way in, Zak. All the same, best wishes on your trip. If you make a habit of this, I'm sure we'll cross paths eventually.

Comment

Cool!!! That's when I flew in, start of Oct. except the one time I went in Win-fly...so you're going into Australia, then Christchurch? What, no direct flights to Christchurch anymore??? Have fun, hopefully you'll get a few days to goof off in NZ before deploying to The Ice...let us know your experiences, it's been almost 20 years since I was there...

Comment

Yeah this is the first year they are flying through Sydney as far as I can tell I'm not realy sure why they changed it but I'm excited to be able to say I went to Sydney I think I'll be in Christchurch for just two days to get my ecw gear. This is all new to me so I'm REALY excited and will be happy with what ever happens!!

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie
            What, no direct flights to Christchurch anymore???
            I've never heard of the program using direct flights to CHC before - always via Auckland or Sydney - but due to changes in airline schedules or somesuch everything is likely to be through Sydney this year, though there's a slim possibility that may change.

Comment

Yes, of course...Aukland then Chch...I knew that!!! The Sydney stop was a new one on me...

Comment

I prefer Sydney because it's a more recognizable name.

Comment

Ok I've been trying to pack and get everything ready because I am leaving in 15 days 15 hours and 54 minutes and I have really not idea how much of what I should be bringing. Any tips

~Zak

Comment

what to bring

First, of course, read through the Participant's Guide. That will give you a more thorough brief.

Then, figure that everything you REALLY need will either be provided, or be available in the store.

You may still want to bring some clothing that is a little better than what is available here - especially gloves and glove liners. But that shouldn't be too important during the summer . . . the provided gloves aren't generally a problem until you get to temperatures colder than -20F - which they WILL get to at Pole and some of the field camps.

Fortunately, the station store at Scott Base (two miles from McMurdo Station) has a decent selection of gloves, if they can keep them in stock.

Boots: surprisingly, the high-priced boots are often the worst here, as the normally higher-quality soles freeze up and become slick in the cold - but again, not a major concern in summer. The gold standard in American boots - Redwings - are particularly treacherous down here.

Bring a camera. Some flash memory cards are sold at Scott Base, but if you want to be sure you have the right ones, bring them yourself - and a USB card reader.

Food - is provided, and you may not have many opportunities to cook your own, so you might want to bring a few items but don't overdo it. If you have any specific questions about what is available in the store, let me know.

Books, DVDs, CDs, etc - plenty of titles are available in the library or the store at no cost - but the selection - though reasonably large - is still limited, so if you really want to be sure you have it, bring it - and maybe you'll want to donate it when you leave.

I've just asked for comments from a friend, and he points out that we have plenty of washers and dryers, plus the air is very dry, so you won't need as much clothing as you might think. That said, your own fleece tops and bottoms are still good, and the program no longer provides a base layer. I personally would suggest merino wool for the base layer.

He also suggests miniature speakers (like what you might have for a computer) for an ipod or the like, and that can make sense for McMurdo, but headphones are still a must - especially at Pole and, I'm guessing, at field camps, where the walls are NOT soundproof.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Everyone tends to bring too much stuff the first season, until we figure out what we personally need.

Comment

Ok thanks, I've been asking this question quite a bit and everyone has generally said the same thing. Don't bring too much so that makes me feel better . They are letting us bring 150lbs this season which from what I hear is new. The 150lbs is what scared me because that is A LOT of luggage it gave me the idea that I needed a lot of stuff and if it's the wrong stuff you'll die and freeze to death haha.
                      How long does it usually take for a package to arrive there like in case i forget something and want it sent down?

~Zak

Comment

Mail

When I summered at Pole, it seemed that package mail normally took two to three weeks to arrive, but I always figured a month just to be sure.

It should be a bit quicker at McMurdo during the summer, but I would still figure two or three weeks.

However, note that large packages do not get priority, and may take longer. If you really need something quick and it is small, ask someone to mail it in a small package or - better yet - a large envelope, separately from any large items you may have requested.

Comment

Alright sounds good!
                          Thanks!

~Zak

Comment

I just got a new iPod Touch which comes with wifi I was just wondering if I'll be able to connect to the wifi in Mcmurdo?

~Zak

Comment

WiFi is available at Pole, but it's pretty spotty at McMurdo. In fact, internet access in general is spotty at McMurdo, as there is limited bandwidth, an awful lot of people during the summer, and a lot of science being done which gets priority for the limited bandwidth. You shouldn't have any trouble sending and receiving email or browsing the web, but you may have to compete for access to a computer terminal or a hookup for your laptop. There are plans to upgrade the system, but it won't be immediate.

In any case, I haven't messed around with iPods, but doesn't that WiFi connect to your computer's WiFi rather than to a larger network? I could be wrong.

And maybe I'll see you as I'm leaving, but in the confusion and chaos of arrival I won't bet on it. I'll be one of the handful of winterovers leaving on the 9th, though, all wearing our Big Red parkas - just like you will be - so who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X