Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Concept Ice Vehicle from Lotus

I've just come across this thing while looking around the web:

Very cool of course and made by Lotus for what sounds like a rather embarassingly large amount of money (because they won't tell how much).

But will it work?

The idea is far from new and also far from new in Antarctica - I think there was something similar at Halley in the 1960's or 1970's? The fact that there aren't any similar propellor driven vehicles used at all by anyone anywhere ever in Antarctica indicates that maybe it's not the best idea in the world?

However I will stand corrected if it works on anything other than perfectly flat smooth surfaces - it is apparently " light enough to be man-hauled across really rough terrain. " - that's just as well then.

More here: http://www.transantarcticexpedition.com/civ/
    Yes it will work well
    0.00%
    It will work after a fashion, but not as well as the alternatives
    16.67%
    No it's just a big toy - but it may work well if it's real purpose is publicity
    83.33%

Re: "New" Concept Ice Vehicle from Lotus

Let's see.

It doesn't have the payload of a truck, and it doesn't look to be easily carried or stored like the small snowmobiles.

The crevasse detecting radar is nice (and has been in use for some time), but I suspect that would limit the speed of the vehicle.

I do like the windshield (can't tell if the whole cockpit is enclosed, but that would be nice), but can only see two possible advantages to this machine: speed (in areas known to be free of crevasses) and the low number of moving parts (if true). On the other hand, the potential disadvantages would appear to be difficulties braking, high cost, and large footprint for a small payload. Perhaps the legs could fold up or something for storage, but all in all I'm not terribly impressed, given the description in the article.

Comment

I have a question with reguards to wind chill........?
      Bill W.

More facts needed...

Bill W.

Comment

Much to open, no payload ability. No rescue ability or supply motivation.
        Unable to make coffee...

Comment

Originally posted by William(Bill) Wurthmann View Post
          I have a question with reguards to wind chill........?
          Bill W.

More facts needed...

Bill W.
          Will not make coffee.

Comment

Making coffe was a joke....LOL

Comment

Yeah, a joke, just when I was starting with computers (zillion years ago), I was trying to explain to my mom what it can do... she would listen, and at the end just ask "But can it cook and wash?"

On topic... Looks nice, but I would prefer (ummmm, insist on!) closed cabin, and a cargo bay sufficient for one human in horizontal position or a lot of supplies...

Comment

I agree most heartedly.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Sir Douglas Mawson of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition used a propeller-driven vehicle. It was in fact a light aircraft, but an early crash rendered it unflyable, but still able to haul cargo as a propellor-driven 'tractor'.

I came across this factual nugget whilst editing an ebook on the subject - "The Antarctic Exploration Anthology: tHe Personal Accounts of the Great Antarctic Explorers". Mawson doesn't go into that much detail, but I'd be interested to know if anyone knows any more on the subject.
                  Last edited by Paul Ward; 22nd April 2013, 19:25.

Comment

My issue with the design above was not the form of propulsion, far from that, but rather the total absence of some protective "enclosure"... I would feel a lot more comfortable if there is a cabin, and not only the stuff I am wearing, protecting me from certain death.

Comment

I understand that. It is more of a toy than anything else. The winds can be drastic and skin can freed in seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X