Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Should Antarctica be made a World Environmental Park?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Should Antarctica be made a World Environmental Park?

Hi Everyone,

I have been given a 5 part project on Antarctica and I need to complete this question. It will only take a moment of your time because it's just a yes/no response. I'd also love to hear your comments if you have any!

Should Antarctica be made a World Environmental Park? Yes/No
    This means that mining, hunting, fishing and tourism may not be permitted.

The assignment is due on November 17th 2008, so I'd love to hear from you soon!

With thanks for helping in my education,

AntarcticaFan
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Poll: Should Antarctica be made a World Environmental Park?

I have to say No. If we would like to designate, say, 98% of the coastline and the maritime environment a World Environmental Park, I would not have a major problem with that. However, it is downright silly to consider "saving" an environment which has virtually no life, as most of the continent does not. If I had to decide between mining in Antarctica, where there will be next to no impact on animal or vegetable life, or mining in a jungle, swamp, woodlands, grasslands, etc. most anywhere else in the world, the environmentally right thing to do would be to mine in Antarctica (excepting coastal and maritime areas).

Of course, it would be wonderful to do this in as clean and efficient a manner as possible, but people will continue to need natural resources for a long time to come, and if it is economically feasible to do so, Antarctica would be a better choice than most other places. What is more, if there is a demand it will be met, one way or another, and keeping everything transparent and legal means that the environment can be better protected.

Comment

I went for "No" too.

Mainly because I think tourists should go to Antarctica. It is the last unspoiled wilderness and just too special to not go and see it. I'm a great believer in "You can't care about what you don't know about".

As for the other things:

Fishing - not happy, but not totally against, only if last resort.
      Hunting - big no - don't know why people feel the need to kill wild animals.
      Mining - not happy, but not totally against, only if last resort.

Comment

Thank you Alan and Paul for your thoughtful responses, and your reasons for the "no" choice on my poll. I have mainly gotten "yes" responses from people in my local town (tropical North Queensland, Australia) but I can see that both of you must have first hand Antarctica experience and know the pros and cons with more depth and insight than many who have never, nor are ever likely to set foot on this continent. This helps alot with my assignment and I thank you for your replies.

Anybody else out there with an opinion, please vote and add your comments. The more the better.

With thanks and appreciation,

AntarcticaFan

Comment

Working...
        X