X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concept vehicle for Antarctic travel

Have a look at the BAS home page http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/News_and...ory.php?id=173 for jpgs of the latest concept polar travel vehicle. Beats the skidoo into a cocked hat! I think I'd still prefer to rely on the 9 DP (dog power) multi-purpose travel unit I used in the dim and distant past!

Let me know what you think.

Drummy

That thing looks too cool to be real!

Sounds expensive too, somehow I doubt that it'll be in use within a decade, if a all.

Comment

Looks very cool, thought I'd put some smaller pics here...

Not sure that those smooth rear wheels would give much traction though, the front tracks don't look to be powered, also seems like the driver would have a nice view of the sky and not a lot else.

I never had the chance to use one, but I like the ide of a dog-powered travel unit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
        Looks very cool, thought I'd put some smaller pics here...

Not sure that those smooth rear wheels would give much traction though, the front tracks don't look to be powered, also seems like the driver would have a nice view of the sky and not a lot else.

I never had the chance to use one, but I like the ide of a dog-powered travel unit better.
        Paul, it travels in the direction of the smooth wheels, that thing tethered to the front is to detect weak ice and crevasses before the vehicle approaches them.

Your right about the front wheels though, they do look like they'd slip around, I bet the rear treads are used for steering.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracling
          Paul, it travels in the direction of the smooth wheels
          Duh ops: obvious now you've said! :mrgreen:

Comment

Re: Concept vehicle for Antarctic travel

At least I could always eat one of my 9 dogs if necessary. I never did fancy the idea of 'saute of skidoo' much. At least these modern modes of travel don't shit on your sledge runners though! I agree about the possible lack of traction on those low ground pressure front wheels. I wonder what it would be like trying to traverse an icy slope? The c of g looks like it might be a wee bit high too, especially if there is cargo space in there as well as the engine and the operators.
            drummy

Comment

that vehicle looks so unreal that if i didn't know any better, i'd say the photo was fake..

Comment

I'm really not sure about this so called vehicle I actually think it is too modern for this time in space????? Is it environmentally friendly???? And first, of all why are we bringing such modern tech to a virgin place???

Comment

Originally posted by ladyjanuary
                  I'm really not sure about this so called vehicle I actually think it is too modern for this time in space????? Is it environmentally friendly???? And first, of all why are we bringing such modern tech to a virgin place???
                  time in space?

I'm sure it's environmentally friendly, I doubt the BAS would permit anything in antarctica that isn't, and it's certainly going to be more efficent then the current outdated tractors and such they use down there.

And as for your last (or first as you put it) question, why not? Having modern technology down there will allow us to perform research better and safer (which is the entire point of being in antarctica), and will definitally be better for the environment.

Comment

Working...
                  X