X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Ellsworth Station Seabee Daughter

I am the daughter of a Seabee who was a part of Operation Deep Freeze II to the Weddell Sea. I am interested in hearing from anyone who was a part of the Wyandot or Staton Island crew or residents of Ellsworth Station. I am currently teaching about the voyage through the use of my father's journal and slides he took, documenting the trip from Davisville to Cape Adams and back to Norfolk. I am looking forward to reading your posts!
    Last edited by Matovichd; 10th January 2012, 22:00. Reason: check spelling

Re: Hello from Ellsworth Station Seabee Daughter

hello "daughter"

don't know if I'm doing this right; we'll see. I wintered over at Ellsworth station as part of USARP Team 3' I was there for 53 weeks. Your dad must have been one of the guys who built the station. When I was at Ellsworth it had been an Argentine station for a couple of years. Americans ran it just for the first year of operation. My year was the next-to-last one as the Argentines abandoned it after the 1962 season.

all the best

Comment

He was the mechanic that fixed the cats and weasels while they built the base in 12 days. It is an amazing story of the trip down there and back...

Comment

Originally posted by Matovichd View Post
        I am the daughter of a Seabee who was a part of Operation Deep Freeze II to the Weddell Sea. I am interested in hearing from anyone who was a part of the Wyandot or Staton Island crew or residents of Ellsworth Station. I am currently teaching about the voyage through the use of my father's journal and slides he took, documenting the trip from Davisville to Cape Adams and back to Norfolk. I am looking forward to reading your posts!
        My name is Dave Bernier. I was stationed at Davisville, RI I was a construction driver in the Seabees.I was at Ellsworth station to build it. It was the best experience of my life. I am 75 years old now, but I would love to do it all over again. All the pictures I took were destroyed. If you have any slides, I would certainly enjoying looking at them & possibly copying them.What rate was your dad. .Looking forward to hearing from you. What else do you need to know? Really enjoyed the ride down on the Wyandot. When I retired from work,my wife & I sold the house & went full time in a 5th wheel for 6 years. We now live in Surprise AZ.

Comment

Dad was an CM3. He was a mechanic on the cats ans weasles. He, too, just turned 75. He and mom live next door. I do have about 300 slides and Dad's journal of the trip. If you would like more information, please contact me at matovichd@gamil.com. We live in a dead zone, so I do not get to check the email frequently. I will check back in a couple of weeks. Dad's name is Bob, but I think he went by Matty. Take care and thank you for contacting me...

Comment

When I got home, I told Dad about your post. He said he remembered you! We looked up your photo in the cruise book. I will try to go through the photos and see if you are in them. Again, feel free to contact me.

Comment

Well, it was certainly nice to hear from you. I would have to see a picture of your dad to see if I remember him, after all it was a while ago. As I told you earlier, all my pictures of the trip were lost. I would certainly like to have as many pictures of the trip as I can get. If it were possible, I would like to go back to Ellsworth station, but I know that it is not there. Love hearing from you. Dave Bernier

Comment

Working...
              X