X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone

Hello, i'm 14 years old and i live in Sweden. I am half finnish and i'm going in a finnish school. So i can speak both languages including english, and having 2 nationalities. I am very attracted to extreme cold conditions. When i grow up i want to work in Antarctica, either in the swedish station Wasa, or the finnish station Aboa. They are located in the norwegian queen maud island 130 km from the coast, and they are just 200 meters away from each other. That makes my chances better to work there because i can communicate with both of them. But the problem is that they are only available on the summer, i would like to keep working in the winter season, in McMurdo or the norwegian station Troll. But i dont know if you need to be the countries nationality to work there. I am interessted of being an meteorologist or exploring new places and study them.

Re: Hello Everyone

Hi and welcome to the forum. I decided I wanted to go to Antarctica too when I was about 14. Languages will certainly help in your flexibility of working at different country's bases. The best thing you can do for now is study languages, science and maths to make yourself academically qualified enough. Enjoying the outdoors and experience in the hills and mountains, espcially in the winter will help a lot too, you certainly seem to be in the right place to do that, so get out and about and build up experience.

Comment

I've listened to your advice and being outside alot. Here in Sweden we have lots of snow and about 15- celsius. I just love everything about it. Today it just hit me what i want do with my life. I want to work in Antarctica and being an meteorologist. I know it might sound strange from an 14 year old kid, but im just so fascinated of the extreme cold weather. So i decided to save money to a trip to Antarctica, so i can experience the life there, and see the beautifull nature. Maybe experience a rough storm or so.

Studying math and science is pretty hard for me at school, because our class is very messy. It's very hard to get anything done because the class is so messy and our teacher is not that good either. We basically dont do anything on our lessons.
      Should i bring my book home and study on my own?

Comment

There are two ways to get paid to go to Antarctica. As a scientist or as a support worker, mechanic, electrician, carpenter etc. Whichever route, you need to focus on getting as good qualifications as you can, that way you get to make the decisions of what you will do rather than being limited by what you can do with what you have.

Yes - study on your own too, I've never met anyone who regretted being well educated, lots who regretted not being educated enough though.

Comment

Iceman,

I don't know about Troll, but the American stations have a small number of foreign nationals. McMurdo Station is only 3 km from New Zealand's Scott Base, which operates year round. When I was at McMurdo in winter of 2009 Scott Base had about half of its staff (total 26 that winter) from nations other than New Zealand - however, most of those were British Commonwealth nations.

A good science background can be very useful, and meteorologists are required year round - it's actually a very good choice if you want to get a job in Antarctica. However, cross-training is also a plus, and most of the workers there have multiple skills. This is especially useful at the smaller stations with few personnel.

However, most of the scientists work in Antarctica only in the summer. The good news is that scientists are able to travel to more remote locations, but if you want to spend a winter it would probably be helpful if you know at least one trade. The stations always need electricians and people specializing in power production (generator mechanics and such).

I should tell you, however, that -15C is considered warm weather in Antarctica. It does get warmer during the summer near the coast, but in winter you can expect ordinary temperatures of -30C at the coast, and occasional dips to around -45C. Inland, of course, is much colder, and those are summer temperatures at South Pole.

Otherwise, best of luck in your endeavors, and keep us posted and ask any questions you like.

Comment

Thank you for your advices Alan.

If i get to Antarctica, i hope that Finland or Sweden has a station that is year-around.

I should consider another skill. Maybe a mechanic.

This year in Sweden has been very warm because of the gulf-stream. Usually it comes cold air from Russia, so the temprature can drop to 25-. Last year when i spent some weeks at northern Sweden tempratures droped to 42-.

Comment

Working...
            X