X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy says hello

Hi guys, glad to be on the site. I've been interested in the U.S. Antarctic program for a while now, and in my many research binges I found this to be really the only Antarctica-related forum that google turned up within a reasonable amount of pages. I hope to eventually go down there for six to twelve months, but given my current status (unemployed High-school student), my prospects do look bleak, even after graduation. Won't stop me from trying though.

Re: New guy says hello

Welcome to CA!

You'll find plenty of first-hand advice from other members which hopefully will help you reach your goal of working in the Antarctic. have good browse through the different topics, if you haven't already done so.

Regards.

Drummy

Comment

There's pretty stiff competition for unskilled positions like drivers, construction assistants, general assistants and so on, if you've got some mechanic skills or carpentry skills it'd help...get yer app in and follow up, show a lot of interest, you just might make it down to The Ice...def. a "cool" experience...if you have 1st aid/CPR training and extreme weather experience, it might look good on the app. Outdoor survival school or experience with that stuff might be mentioned as well...Good Luck!!!

Comment

Yes, this is really the only web forum for this sort of stuff. Lots of people in the program stay connected online, but it's mostly through social networking sites or email.

I suppose this is "old school" - but I prefer it.

The advice Fast Eddie gave is good. Having skills that the program needs helps a lot. If you can get experience driving heavy equipment, or in one of the mechanical trades, that might be your best bet - but there are all sorts of opportunities if you are really interested.

Comment

Working...
        X