X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings,

I am writing from home in Colorado, at 9.2k ASL. I will be going to the Southern Ice for the first time this year. I have been to the far North, and have lived and worked in some places that others think extreme. From REALLY cold to down right Dank. I just call it work. I am looking forward to the experience. I hope that my work schedule will allow me some time to do a little bit of exploration.

DaveDivided

Re: Newbie

Awesome where are you going and what are you doing? I'm going to mcmurdo this summer season
    -Zak

Comment

Zak,

I will also be at McMurdo, doing construction.

Comment

Hi Dave and welcome.

There are people around here with lots of experience, so please ask away of anything you need to know. How long will you down for? Are you building anything in particular or is it ongoing?

Comment

Hello,

The main project that I am to be working is a new thaw box for the foodies. Also several demo and asbestos abatement projects. The old com building is coming down that may be the main site that you will recognize. Then a lot of on going stuff. Time/budget/schedule depending.

I appreciate the background I am getting from the forum already. I will likely be after more when I have the time.

Dave

Comment

Ah. I've seen something about a thaw box, and we certainly have enough asbestos around here. But the Com building? Do you mean the old transmitter building at T-site? I don't think that is being used any more, but Comms/Weather/Mac Ops - despite numerous problems - is still operating and still being upgraded.

BTW, are you a Carp? (Commonwealth: Chippy)

Comment

Yes it is the old T Building. I need to get my arms around the bldg numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDivided
                Yes it is the old T Building. I need to get my arms around the bldg numbers.
                No worries. Between the building numbers and the vehicle numbers, confusion reigns and conversations can get very interesting. Just make SURE you're at the right building before you begin to actually tear it down.

Scratch that. Tear down anything you like. Pretty much everything should have been replaced twenty years ago anyhow.

Comment

Yup..There are some pretty tired buildings in town. I have been studying photos of some other buildings to be taken down. I probably shouldn't be saying too much about them in case plans change. There has been some funding allowed for added demo this summer though. None of the sites are at present occupied. I hope I can help to beautify the place a little more. Though there is a lot of history in the town some of it locked into the somewhat temporary nature of the structures, there is also a certain disrespect that I see in leaving some of the stuff standing? Not having been there I am certainly not the one to be the judge but having been to other frontierish outposts around the world, also developed during the heights of the cold war, form deffinitely followed a decade or 5 after function! Let's all hope that there is a medium struck somewhere between advance base camp in Nepal and say...Aspen. Just kidding!

DB

Comment

Sorry I Missed your last question i.e. Chipppy? Fraid I haven't heard that.

Comment

If form had followed function, there wouldn't have been a problem. When the Navy established this base, however, they simply used whatever they had on hand, without much consideration for the fact that they were building in Antarctica. Since then, that tradition has been discarded at times (thankfully), but not always. Rumor says that two of our most recent dormitories were originally intended for use in the Caribbean before being repurposed. Although they are only used in the summer, I've been told that the rooms tend to be cold.

As for the question: Carp is the American shorthand for Carpenter, and the old Carp shop at Pole actually had a Carp (an actual fish) hanging up as a sign. They could do that because it never gets warm enough to thaw out there. In the Commonwealth countries, they call carpenters Chippy - just as electricians (American and Commonwealth) are Sparky.

Comment

I have a friend that was an electrical engineer for the navy when they were installing and testing the nuke! Some of his commentary was pretty frightening.

I do not recall ever being called a carp, I am a journeyman carp if you will, but that will not be my function in McTown. I am also a plant engineer so my work will have more to do with organization and logistics involved with construction and such.

I am assuming that you know what "Tin Knockers" are as well. That is something that I have also done back in my semi sordid past. This is all stuff that I occupied my time with when that biology degree didn't take!

Dave

Comment

Carps

Hmmm. I should clarify: "Carp" is the American-Antarctican term for "carpenter", and "carpenters" in the American Antarctic program tend to work with more than just wood. It's not uncommon to see carps with cutting torches or otherwise working with metal - though we also have the tin knockers, ironworkers, welders and so forth for more skilled labor involving metal. Our carps - especially the heavy carps - are sort of all-purpose construction workers.

The term "carp" is not commonly used in America. There are a number of other American Antarctican terms in use as well, that are not used by other English-speakers in Antarctica or in America.

Comment

Working...
                          X