X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Everyone

I guess this is where I should be saying hello and maybe a little something about myself. So here it goes.

My name is Zak I will be 20 years old in September and I live in Oregon (United States). I was just recently offered a job by Raytheon Polar Services as a Air Transportation Apprentice in Mcmurdo for the 2009-2010 summer season. My biggest goals in life are just to travel the world and I am VERY excited about going to Antarctica, everything I have heard sounds amazing. I found this website while trying to find all I could on Antarctica. So anything anyone has to say about what I can expect or any stories about your experiences in Antarctica would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zak

Greetings from McMurdo. What's your deployment date?

Comment

Re: Hello Everyone

The estimated date is October 3rd. Haven't received the actual ticket yet so it's not set in stone. But early October for sure. What's McMurdo like right now?

Comment

Right now it's dark, windy, and warm. We're starting to see a little sunlight coming over the hills around 1 PM.

Yup, a blistering hot 9 degrees Fahrenheit today - a virtual heat wave. But it's been a little windy of late - not bad, really, but not calm either.

Morale-wise, some folks are getting a little antsy after being isolated so long, but there's enough of us here it isn't really that bad. Well, for me, anyway. Some people take it hard, and are ready to leave. It's less than a month to WINFLY! Freshies!

Anyway, it looks like we might have a little overlap, if you arrive on schedule (which is hardly assured). So far, I've heard I might be leaving on October 9th, but I've also offered to stay longer . . . so we'll see. Be sure to say Hey if you get here before I leave.

Comment

Wow 9 degrees that sounds pretty warm you might need to go take a dip in the ocean, and a little sun I'm sure is nice. That reminds me In October will there be a few hours of darkness because I would really like to be able to see the stars from there.

I will definitely come say hi if you're still there when I arrive. What is your job down there?

Comment

One pretty good resource to check current weather conditions and short-term weather forecast is wunderground.

It's VERY cold right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zak
              Wow 9 degrees that sounds pretty warm you might need to go take a dip in the ocean, and a little sun I'm sure is nice. That reminds me In October will there be a few hours of darkness because I would really like to be able to see the stars from there.

I will definitely come say hi if you're still there when I arrive. What is your job down there?
              Don't bet on seeing any stars in October. The sun will occasionally dip below the horizon in early October, but not far enough for the stars to come out. I think. When I was down here in October 2007, I was always asleep in the early hours, so I'm not absolutely sure, but I doubt it.

As for taking a dip in the ocean - the Kiwis held a polar plunge about a week ago, but that's no small feat. It takes them a couple days to chip out enough ice to get to the water.

And I'm an electrician.

See you in October.

Comment

Hi Zak, sounds like you got yourself a great job there, how long are you going down for?

make the most of your time there, you'll probably be worked like a mule, but make as many friends as you can and you'll get to go on more jollies which is really what going to Antarctica is about (oh yes - and the science too of course).

Comment

The idea right now is that I will be there from Oct 3rd to Feb 19th but who knows for sure.
                  I think this job will be pretty good I'm pretty sure it will allow me to travel off base and see some of the sites which I'm really excited about. I know it will be a lot of work but from what I've heard there is just as much fun to be had on your time off so I really can't wait to get down there

Comment

Hey, Zak, are you from Portland area??? I did 3 summers down on The Ice from '89 to '92. I think you'll enjoy the experience, and if it's like in the past, you'll have some pretty flexible travel on your return that will enable some good touring experiences. Get friendly with the snowmobile guys if you can, they get out on some of the best "boondoggles"...you'll have to go in early, on "winfly" to be able to see much nighttime, by oct. the sun is pretty much up 24/7...good luck, and keep us posted on your experience...

Comment

Yea I'm hoping to do some traveling on my way home and thanks for the tips I can't wait to get down there!!

Comment

Working...
                      X