X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• robert scott

Hi everyone . As a new guy delighted to join the cool Antarctca group I have long been interested in the historyand enjoyed as a life time ambition a visit to the historical sites I have loing been trying to get a Scottish Antarctic club set up especially with the approach of 2012 I am a memebr of the Royal Sottish Geographical Society and I am in contact with the grandson of Robet Falconof our clan

Re: robert scott

Hi Robert,

Welcome to CoolAntarctica! I'm a scottish FID myself having spent 2? years at Stonington Island some 30 odd years ago in the dog sledge era. Where do you live in Scotland?

Regards.

Drummond

Comment

Hi I live in Cumbernauld which is dead central re the central belt feels a bit like the deep south this morning !!

Comment

Hi Drummond I just remebered that John Killinbeck was one of our lecturers on the trip He brought the last dog teams off the continent

Comment

Indeed he did. The last two teams were the Admirals and the Huns. I drove the Huns from 1971-1973 doing about 2000 miles in each of the two years I was at Stonington.

drummy

Comment

I found John to be a charming fellow and his wife Jenny did a one woman play on Kathleen Scott It was very meaningfull
            Where in Scotland are you ?/ What do you think of a Scottish Antarctic Club ??

Comment

Hi Robert and welcome to the board.

Setting up a Scottish Antarctic Club sounds interesting, let me know if I can be of help with publicity once this gets some momentum.

I've spent much of the w/e looking through lots of (mainly dull and repetitive!) videos of Antarctica and came across this one that I thought you and drummy may appreciate:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h_U4eWk-SzQ

Comment

Hi Paul,
                I'd picked that one up on You Tube myself a wee while ago. Good to see dogs in action again, even if the video quality is a wee bit suspect. I do have a very short section of old cine film (super 8) of myself talking to the Huns on the dog spans at Stonington. It was taken by Miles Mosley who was sadly killed in a plane incident at Halley in the mid 80s. I did get it converted to VHS some years ago but I'm afraid the quality is rather dire!

Cheers

Drummy

Comment

Working...
                X