Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another... newbie ;)

Hi to all!

I'm IT engineer, manager in a big hotel in Africa. I was born in a troubled country Serbia, and now making living by doing what I always wanted, processors, networking, etc.

Since loooong time ago, I have this crazy idea of going to a such distant place like Antarctica. Recently I saw a movie "Encounters" (Werner Herzog) which reassured me.

Well, I guess that, for family reasons, I won't be able to do anything in next few years, and due to my nationality even after, but we never know...

Regards to all.

Re: Just another... newbie

Welcome to CA!

Live your dream... assuming you can get your family to agree. Antarctica is the most amazing place on this planet.

drummy

Comment

As almost every kid dreams of becoming an astronaut one day... Antarctica is second best (if not even better).

Anyway, I got a baby boy on September 17th, so I guess it will take quite some time until I can even think of leaving them for some time.

Why I want it? Difficult question. I don't consider myself a looney, but extreme wilderness and, in general, life in extreme conditions is attracting me. Hey, it may sound silly. As European, but working in Africa I am missing heavy fog as dense as milk, ice and snow, often seen in Europe... I especially enjoy taking long walks when the visibility is under 10 meters.

Now, i am contradicting myself (not being a looney and enjoying heavy fog)

Comment

I work with a bunch of Bosnians - both Bosnian Serbs and Bosnian Muslims - here in the U.S. They think that I'm crazy to want to go back to Antarctica, and I think they're crazy . . . for many reasons.

You might still have a chance to go. You didn't say which African country you are in, but South Africa has an Antarctic program. I'm sure they need IT engineers.

http://www.southafrica.info/about/sc...ica-200605.htm

Besides that, there's a fair amount of international cooperation in the Antarctic. I've seen Japanese scientists, Swedish scientists and support staff, New Zealanders, Canadians, British, and even a Bulgarian at U.S. stations, and next year there will be at least one each from France and the Netherlands. Start asking around, and let us know what happens.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. It seem it will be the easier part of the effort, more difficult to deal with family issues

Anyway, I am in Nigeria. Hmmmm... wife is a 100% Nigerian so I don't expect much understanding from that side

Comment

Hi flighter and welcome

You can get over the nationalities thing if you keep at it, may not get accepted first time, but many people I know (including me) were not accepted for the first Antarctic job they went for.

Wife? - easier to do when single, seems the biggest obstacle to me.

Comment

Yeah, the issue seems to be this: Will I live long enough to try, or will be strangled while asleep

Comment

Lol... just had a discussion with my wife... She agreed that I can go (if needed), but only if I support (and provide funds) for her shopping

Comment

Working...
                X