Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from a Polie

Hello All,

My name is Alan Light, and I was an electrician at the South Pole Station from 31 October 2007 to 5 February 2008. Before that I spent three weeks in October working at McMurdo Station.

I know that's not a whole lot of experience, but it's a start, and I may be going back next summer.

I was hoping to find a discussion forum related to the Antarctic, and this one ranks highest in Google - so here I am.

I took lots of pictures and a few movies both at McMurdo and at Pole, and I'm still sorting through things. When I'm done, I'll make an offer to send a DVD or three to anyone who is interested. I should be able to manage that with the small readership here.

Re: Greetings from a Polie

Hi Alan and welcome to the board

Pics and movies are always particularly welcome, Antarctica seems to be an especially visual place.

If you could post some pics here on the "members pictures" section it would be good. I have some video footage that I'll be putting on the site before too long too when I get around to editing it, maybe I could add yours too? I'm not very clued up on this yet, so it would need you to send it to me in some format to do this.

Comment

Re: Greetings from a Polie

Originally posted by Paul Ward
      If you could post some pics here on the "members pictures" section it would be good. I have some video footage that I'll be putting on the site before too long too when I get around to editing it, maybe I could add yours too? I'm not very clued up on this yet, so it would need you to send it to me in some format to do this.
      I'm still working my way through my pictures. I have about a Gig of photos that look pretty good, and several Gigs of photos and movies of technical aspects of McMurdo and South Pole. I'm also working my way through some other photos I've taken on other trips, and when I'm done I might have several Gigs of photos on my DVD of "pretty" pictures, plus 2 DVDs of general technical data and another 4 or 5 DVDs of specifics (lectures on the South Pole Traverse, of the construction of the South Pole Station, for example). The quality isn't great on these lectures, but it should be enough to see what's going on. I am NOT a professional movie maker.

Even with the internet being as fast as it is these days, it will probably be easier for everyone if I just send these out by Snail Mail. I'll post a message here when I'm ready.

Comment

Working...
      X