Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm old but I have a new friend

Hi everyone!!

I have a new friend with me today who wants to say hi from Sydney Australia. His name is J.A. and he is 13 years old (turning). He has a question for you Paul:

"Why is Antarctica so cold?"

psr

Re: I'm old but I have a new friend

Oooooh thanks psr - that's not so much a question as a request for a new page on the subject!

In brief...

The poles receive less energy in the form of sunlight than does the equator, all points inbetween are somewhere in between according to their latitude, so even on a perfectly stable and "all things equal" planet, the poles would be the coldest places.

Antarctica is colder again as it is:
    • A landmass surrounded by ocean, most of the continent is unaffected by the effect of the surrounding seas that make the climate of coastal regions milder than inland regions
    • The highest continent, temperature drops with altitude, so a "high" Antarctica is colder than it would be if it was low and flat instead of high and mountainous.
    • The source of it's own weather systems that have very little to do with the rest of the planet for much of the year. In the Arctic for instance, the weather systems spill in or out of the Northern Hemisphere so making them less extreme. In Antarctica, the weather systems go round and round getting more and more extreme and not being diluted.
    Hope this satisfies your friend for the time being!

Comment

Thanks Paul,

JA is a student in my class for one more day. He was really excited about the fact that you would reply and he could ask "live" questions considering your location. He will be thrilled when we read this tomorrow in class. You are doing a brilliant job and it's nice to know that this website is one of the few that is not blocked through the education department's "net nanny". Keep up the great work and have a great Christmas.

psr

Comment

Well Paul,

My friend and I tried to get through all of that. I think I helped him understand the bulk of it. You know what I do and so you can appreciate that my friend was very "Special". Oh well, next year is a new year and we'll see what it will bring!

psr

Comment

Yeh! I know what you are talking about. I am old also.....Aint it grand?

Comment

Maybe....I've just 39 and I'm still undecided........I'll let you know when I turn 40!

Comment

I was 18 when you were born......now I really feel old. The years go by faster the older you get.
              Hang in there.
              Bill W.

Comment

Bill that's not old....my husband was 23 when I was born and he can still run rings around me! I guess they built them better in those days........

Comment

Oh!!!!!!, that's a good one... You made my evening. Today was a good day as Anchorage goes...71 deg. I saw my first bear this season...a black sow maybe 350 to 400 lbs.

Have a great evening.
                  Bill W.

P.S. thanks again...

Comment

Wow! A bear? So different from my world......by the way, where exactly is Anchorage? I'll work out the 71 deg on my own.....

Comment

Bill, I've found it! Anchorage, Alaska....population of approximately 280,000........moose, grizzly bears and breathtaking views. Lucky you! I can now see why 71 deg is good! That's our average day time winter temp in Sydney! But I'll bet the scenery is spectacular compensation for the cold temperatures!

Comment

Hi...
                        Anchorage is in Alaska. We sit on the Cook Inlet; about 120 miles from Redout Volcano; which is code: ORANGE........no threat to Anchorage at this time.
                        As for the 71 degrees F, the warmest we have been this summer yet.
                        Have a great day.
                        May the beauty of heaven consume you...
                        Bill W.

Comment

That's a beautiful thing to say Bill. You too. Is everyone in Alaska as nice as you??

Comment

Sorry to say no......I also have my bad days; as we all. Today was wonderful and sunny...
                            Please tell me more about you and what your assignment is there. I really am interested.

Good night.

Comment

Hi William,

I'm in Sydney and I'm a special needs teacher. I am currently teaching high school students who have emotional and/or behavioural disorders. Interesting work. Never a dull day but I really think I'm ready to retire!

Comment

Working...
                              X