Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLR LENS for Antartica 2009!

Hey Mike,

Regarding to the memory how much memory is enough? I will be taking a laptop. I will shot everything in raw to give me more options in PS CS4. I opted to not get the 15mm lens. Just stick what I have. I took your advice and purchased two CirPol filters I hope this will be enough because I purchased one for the 24-70 and 70-200 since they will mostly be used for water shots. What ND filter you recommend from B +W to shot water falls in Igazu ? they make three some say 2.0, some say 3.0 what is the difference. B and H says most people buy the 2.0 for some reason or is it 102.

Marc

Comment

Hey Paul,

Some people have recommend I purchase a monopod if I can get bogan 234 twist head along with the clamps. This will cut down on wight and time of setting up a tripod. They recommend the Gitzo 3551, since the 5something is to much overkill for lenses less than 400mm. Do you need a flash? some people say yes and some no? what about ND, CirPOl filter. Bean bag sounds good, not expensive. I found a place that makes customer waterproof bags. They are from Alaska, but pricey, but will not be as bulky as lowepro dry zone. Will also fit all your gear including laptop.

Marc

Comment

Here is my advice after just getting back: http://axspot.wordpress.com/2008/11/...ed-what-didnt/

Comment

Hi Marc,

Reading through the above threads and in particular poindexters blog I think it's a question of what you are happy doing and like using.

My Antarctic shots here are on 35mm film with a set of lenses that between them delivered better quality than current digital slr's. With the quality/weight/equipment issue perhaps less critical than with digital (35mm is lighter and with quality - pixel equivalent - that digital still struggles to match) my priorities were elsewhere.

Stability is critical, I wouldn't carry a tripod every where as it slows you down and limits where you go. A monopod and bean bag would be my preference. The best accessory you have is your legs to get the best place to take your picture. I think a waist camera bag is far better than a backpack (though you should have both).

As for water proof, I never had a problem with a standard rucsac and waist bag with internal drawcords keeping my gear dry. The only problems I ever saw were when people dropped their camera into the sea and that happened when it was out of a bag.

The majority of my pictures on this site were taken with either a 50mm or 100mm fixed lens which was never more than about 5 seconds from readiness.

I also think that the experience of "being there" is important too, you can't get this so well if you are viewing the world through a camera lens. Sometimes I would leave my camera gear behind deliberately.

Of course planning and a tripod will get you some great shots, but not all of them and you will have to carry all the gear around. I'd go for the faster moving and more flexible approach without any lens outside of 28-200mm. I spent a lot of time taking pictures when other people did and I know I got plenty they missed. Get good quality gear you can move quickly with and practise, practise, practise before you go.

Comment

To: Paul,

Your advice sounds good. Is the Lowe pro toploader a good bag good to use as a wist bag? or is there something else different. From reading posts over the last several months. Is better to stick with the 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 300mm or maybe the 100 2.8 and leave the other lenses at home, the 50mm 1.4 which I have not used in 3 years. I mostly been using the first four and only used the 100 2.8 to take pictures of the instects. I just have to buy the special attachments for my monopod with the twist head to work right. I have the gitzo 3550. Deceided not to buy the tripod too much to carry and takes to long to set up when on a tour for a month. I just need to purchase the foot plates and bean bag. I have the ziplock 1 gallon sandwich bags for moisture control. Any more suggestions for Antartica and Iguizi falls? I know the histrogram is the best friend you can have on the camera and magic latin guide.

Marc

Comment

Working...
            X