Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just returned...

Hello all.

If you can go...go. It was awesome. The pictures do not do justice.

Ushuaia was a nice little city. I recommend a 4 x 4 tour.

I have tons of great pictures and can give further point of views if any are interested.

Re: Just returned...

Hi eddie, glad to hear you had a great time. Antarctica truely is an awesome place to go.

I've been thinking about getting a plug-in for this board that allows people to upload their own pictures, but haven't been sure that they would bother.

Would you put some of your pictures here if I got and installed it?

Comment

You bet.

Some of the shots are stunning. (Scenes I'm sure you have seen often!)

Thanks.

Comment

I would totally enjoy your pictures and I can only imagine how fascinating your experience was, please tell us more.

Comment

I would love to see some pictures from amateurs, as I will be following in their footsteps soon. The plug-in is a good idea.

Comment

We are waiting for your photos where are they?

Comment

hey, i am heading out in three weeks time and i can't wait. any little tips or suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by pattonxl
                hey, i am heading out in three weeks time and i can't wait. any little tips or suggestions?

take lots of pics and share them!! landscapes preferably.

Comment

Sorry, been quite busy.
                  The weather was very nice. I understand we were fortunate that it was so good. weather was 30-45 deg F. It actually snowed twice around midnight (was still light). That was a kick to have snowball fights on the ship. By the way, we were on the Marco Polo. If you go on that ship, tell Lorna, DJ Shelly (Sugar) and Ewa-cello player (especially- she is very sweet) hi. Also, the piano player is a blast.

Never did we get cold so you probably won't have trouble there. The rubber boots, necessary to go to shore were indespensible.

As the last post said...take lots of film or memory. I have a 5megapixal Sony digital that produced awesome pictures. Kept about 300 pictures and deleted probably 300 more.

If you can go to the Chilean base, they have a "giftshop" (believe it or not). Best thing there was passport stamps and a map with a stamp (great for framing.

You will be blown away by the sceanery. Miles and miles, hours and hours of unblemished spectacular views.
                  You will see plenty of penguins as well as other wildlife, whales, seals, interesting birds. The Drake passage was cool too. It was foggy, very mystical.

I envy you for being able to go. I miss it so much.

BTW- if you go through Buenos Aries-SEE a TANGO SHOW! I suggest Che Tango (I think). Awesome.

If you have specific questions, just ask!

Have fun! Eddie from Texas

Comment

yeah i am going through Buenos Airies, and i was planning on seeing a tango show. I also want to see a Bocca Juniors match too. Whats the language barrier like? Should i do an urgent brush up on spanish? I am taking a 35 mm slr camera, so the provcessing is going to be a bit on the expensive side, but well worth it i imagine. I was watching the March of the penguins last night and it just hit me "man, i am going there in 3 weeks!" I'll take a load of pics and upload them (a friend is a repro engineer so he can upload 35mm in top notch quality) and get them on a photobucket site and i'll post the link here.
                    Thanks for the tips!

Comment

your lucky....i just thought of a good idea but i won't share it. someone will steal it. have fun!!

Comment

Yes, I would brush up on your Spanish. Whereas in Houston (with a lot of Mexican people) the spanish speakers know enough english so that between the two of you, you can communicate, in Buenos A, most know little english.

You are gonna have a blast.

As far as 35mm, if you have a 28is mm wide angle lens to capture the width of the landscape and maybe up to a 210ish mm telephoto, you will be good. If not, still MANY opportunities.

Take care!

Oh, I understand that it rains often enough to consider a good rain jacket (in Antarctica). However, we never had an issue....

Comment

I'll try to post a few pics.

Sorry, they are too big. I'll try in the pic section.

Comment

Hi Eddie,

I'll get the pics thing sorted soon. I'm in the process of moving servers. Cool Antarctica has become like the boat you build in your garage that is so big, the garage has to be dismantled to get it out! - so it's not a fast process, should be done in the next week or so, I'll email all board users when it's ready.

Comment

Hello Everybody,

I came back from an utterly unfogettable trip to the Antarctic Peninsula on 23rd January.

It was the final continent for me so now I have been to all seven continents :-)

It was totally awesome, like no other place on the planet.

If anyone is interested in my pics and/or my journal, you can see them here in the form of a PowerPoint slideshow:

http://www.ocean-waves.net/arctic_antarctic.htm

Scroll down and click on the link underneath the map (you can click on the map itself to open a larger map in its own window to see the route our ship took).

Enjoy! Pictures say a thousand words.

Comment

Working...
                              X