Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming right - I don't geddit?

Despite the facetious title, this is a complex topic that is often misunderstood. So, in a gesture that may well be be ignored or that I may well regret...

Please ask any questions that may come to mind and I will try to explain as best I can.

Whether it be "I breathe out carbon dioxide, am I responsible for global warming?" to anything you may have heard of or considered may be involved.

This is too impotant a topic to be questioned by those with loud voices who don't understand or by those skilled in rhetoric (wordplay) with an alternative agenda.
    Last edited by Paul Ward; 8th March 2007, 21:00.

Re: Global Warming right - I don't geddit?

Well, its been asked by someone before Paul but no-one came up with an answer. So here goes, fizzy drinks! Thats a lot of CO2 released on a daily basis worldwide. Where does the industry get it from? Is the amount released a contributing factor to GW? Could it not be re-cycled out of the air to re-use in drinks?

I have done a little research but the answers elude me!

Comment

Co2 is a fact of life. Controlling it and discovering where it comes from is a wash. Would it not be a better idea to reinvest money in ways to fight global warming with ideas like reforestation, stricter industrial laws, banning coal plants, etc. ? rather then decrease Co2 in pop. Any kinetic energy produced on this planet will raise the temperature. You can argue till your blue in the face if termites or automobiles are the culprit, you can put your own spin on the subject cause you feel global warming is a hoax. One thing you can't argue is that polution is a cause of a wide variety of ailments inluding the quality of life. Decreasing man made polution is a good start. Too much Co2 is polution, maybe not the most polutant but one of the largest none the less. A cleaner, stronger, more viable earth with less polutants including money hungry worms is a healthier life for all. Conservation seems to be a four letter word to some.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky
        fizzy drinks! Thats a lot of CO2 released on a daily basis worldwide. Where does the industry get it from? Is the amount released a contributing factor to GW? Could it not be re-cycled out of the air to re-use in drinks?
        Well the good news is that nearly all industrial carbon dioxide is reclaimed from processes that release it in the first place. Of course that does mean that it has been released, but it's cutting down on the amount a little at least.

The carbon dioxide that fizzes your drinks up today could have come from burning fuel, yeast that were busy making beer or some chemical process that releases it as a by-product.

http://www.wittemann.com/applications.html

I forgot to say - I'll be taking the questions and answers from this section and build them into one or more webpages on the main part of the site.

Comment

But Pirates , the biggest culprit is said by expert climatologists and other scientists to be CO2 as the biggest cause of global warming so anything which can reduce it has got to be a good thing.
          I don't buy into it but there you go, the experts say it is!
          The planting of more trees is good but that would upset the hunting brigade who want the open moors and mountains leaving open for the hunting of grouse and deer etc. Planting trees is not expensive and they are excellent pollution filters.
          Too right other pollutants are to blame too like vehicular ozone trapping heat nearer the ground, and as you mention our health is suffering terribly due to dozens of pollutants but you can't get too tough with big industry, they have too much power to veto any changes we try to make.

This may sound ridiculous but what about all the extra water vapour created by kettles, showers, baths (swimming and bathing types), steam jet cleaning, car washes, cooling towers, industry from the production of tyres to foodstuffs. Now that is a lot of extra water vapour being forced into the atmos' is it not? To condense it back into water it has to lose most of its heat. This heating is going to prevent further condensing so more cloud cover, not necessarily observable cloud but invisible water vapour which probably accounts for most of the water vapour thats up there. This creates the blanket that keeps the earth warm in the first place. It would be a much colder place otherwise. More heat means more evaporated water from the oceans stays up there too!

"But you can't TAX water vapour!"

How much extra water vapour would have to be created to push the total level up from say 93% to 95% and where are the figures to show what the percentage was 100,000 or even 1 million years ago? In fact show me any figures for water vapour that are used in analysis of global warming! Is it not true that high volcanic activity always preceded ice-ages? Would this not be a time of an excessive amount of extra water vapour pouring into the atmosphere, and therefore extra cloud cover, plus massive amounts of pollutants?

Do we really know what we are dealing with? I think not! Take away the tax incentive then we'll talk!
          Last edited by Funky; 20th February 2007, 00:08.

Comment

"but pirates" isn't all that new or funny, plus it's quite acceptable to be gay these days funkster. ....oh oh oh what about the ol' one two with your partner? all that suductive heat has to go somewhere? now multiply that by all those people out there. Crackpot ideas are just that crackpot. im sure albert had a few people tell him he was a crack pot and it probly pushed him to be better and to prove people wrong. or maybe it just produced a mad man with atomics on the mind. don't go starting any naval wars now. i'll agree with you that nuke testing underwater isn't a good thing, nuke testing anywhere isn't a good thing. atomic energy and atomic weapons should be eliminated around the globe completely in my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by Funky
              This may sound ridiculous but what about all the extra water vapour created by kettles, showers, baths (swimming and bathing types), steam jet cleaning, car washes, cooling towers, industry from the production of tyres to foodstuffs.
              Yes, I'm afraid it does sound ridiculous.

The role of carbon dioxide in global warming isn't something to "buy into" any more than the earth going round the sun or gravity is anything to "buy into". This isn't a political choice like what to do with criminals or how to cut road congestion where there are alternative viewpoints equally worth listening to.

Water vapour in the atmosphere is a result of temperature and dewpoint, if I try to kick it out into the atmosphere but the physics doesn't work it condenses out, carbon dioxide doesn't work like that.

If I don't believe in gravity, it doesn't mean I can fly.

Comment

"but pirates" isn't all that new or funny, plus it's quite acceptable to be gay these days funkster
                You've lost me totally there mate! I haven't a clue what you're talking about!

I'm getting english from, "oh oh oh" onwards?!

Thanks for your answer Paul. Not being a scientist or a climatologist these are questions I need answering. This is a public forum and as such most questions will be asked by people without meteorological diplomas!
                Maybe I should just spend the rest of my life researching every question in my head then I will never need to ask a ridiculous question again because I will have all the answers.

Comment

If I understand this correctly then man puts out the least amount of C02 in the atmosphere. I was under the impression that annually Volcanoes put out 98% of all Co2 released into the atmosphere each year. This is my first post, and I hope I dont ruffle any feathers but the truth is the truth. So how is man at fault with Global Warming if Mother Nature herself puts out 98% of all Co2? I'm a bit confused by all this Global Warming stuff. Please set me straight with real science.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowcat Operations
                    If I understand this correctly then man puts out the least amount of C02 in the atmosphere. I was under the impression that annually Volcanoes put out 98% of all Co2 released into the atmosphere each year. This is my first post, and I hope I dont ruffle any feathers but the truth is the truth. So how is man at fault with Global Warming if Mother Nature herself puts out 98% of all Co2? I'm a bit confused by all this Global Warming stuff. Please set me straight with real science.
                    I think you have the figures the wrong way round?

"Comparison of CO2 emissions from volcanoes vs. human activities.
                    Scientists have calculated that volcanoes emit between about 130-230 million tonnes (145-255 million tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (Gerlach, 1999, 1992). This estimate includes both subaerial and submarine volcanoes, about in equal amounts. Emissions of CO2 by human activities, including fossil fuel burning, cement production, and gas flaring, amount to about 22 billion tonnes per year (24 billion tons) [ ( Marland, et al., 1998) - The reference gives the amount of released carbon (C), rather than CO2.]. Human activities release more than 150 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes--the equivalent of nearly 17,000 additional volcanoes like Kilauea (Kilauea emits about 13.2 million tonnes/year)!"

from: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/Wh...as/volgas.html

where did your 98% figure come from?

Comment

Oh my goodness!

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto....Toto...?? Toto!! TOTO!!

Oops I kind of forgot where I was there for a minute. I actually thought I was visiting an intelligent website run FOR the intelligent beings out there who wanted to be more intelligent...have I said intelligent??

Well, all I can say is, Paul, God help you. I thought that dealing with a succession of "but whys?" from my kids was bad, but you guys are in a league of your own.

Firstly, Funkster, I would love to meet you. I think that you and I would have an orgasmic argument. Sadly, however, methinks you do protest too much!! I've actually read this thread from top to bottom...pardon the pun....and I think, honey pie, that you are being difficult on purpose . By the way, Funky, do you have blonde hair?? It would actually explain quite a lot.

Now people, why don't we try asking really silly questions such as "How does global warming affect our lives?" or "How will global warming affect our future?" or "how can we help reduce the effects of global warming?" And my personal favourite, "Does sheep doodle really contribute to global warming?" Oh hang on! That sounded like one of your questions!!! Maybe you guys (or girls, but I don't think girls would be engaging in this nonsense, they have too much shopping to do!) forgot to ask that one?? However, I am beginning to think that the one about the "one two" with your partner which Pirates described might have some merit.......

My advice to you Paul is only answer the daft questions. Not the ones that will make YOU daft!

Cheerio boys (possibly boy and girl)
                      psr

PS Paul, I wouldn't mind an answer to my questions because I may be able to use your responses. I will spare you the one about the sheep doodle though.

Comment

What you mean I could have just clicked my heels together all this time to go back to where we were?

I'm in the process of writing a few (it was going to be just one!) global warming pages and will answer your questions there psr, thanks for asking them.

Comment

Ahh, Paul,

If only it were as easy as clicking your heels together....the world wouldn't be in such a mess!

psr

Comment

What I find interesting is the fact that all of the other planets in our solar system are experiencing about the same percentage of "WARMING" as the Earth is. Also this has been proven to be a "NATURAL" cycle in our Earths history. So I am still confused as to why the likes of Al Gore say "WE" are the cause of such occurances? I am also amazed that he has created (OWNS) companies that you can now purchase CARBON CREDITS from and make you feel all good inside and make his pockets bulging cash. Whats even more interesting is the fact that they are trying to or will soon be trying to pass legislation that if your company produces carbon then you will need to off set those "bad" carbons with Carbon credits. Amazing isnt it? Ive noticed that now they are calling it Climate change since they discovered that the oceans currents have now reversed there course and will soon (10 years) be bringing back a colder climate to the Earth. Something to do with the orbit and gravitational pull. So in 10 years will they be saying we should increase our Carbon output? This all reminds me of a little Chicken saying "the sky is falling the sky is falling". Or how the environmentalist (the whacko kind) were saying 40 acres a second being cut down. Which was also proven wrong and in fact an all out lie. I consider myself an environmentalist but not a whakoe type. My house will soon be completeley running on Solar power with a Bio Diesel powered diesel generator as a back up. I will even be getting a small check each month from my local power company for the extra power my solar panels generate that I dont use. Talk about a good feeling there! I even have a CNG powered car that gets about 70 MPG! My new truck I purchased finally after they came out with the Bluetech technology which makes it the absolute cleanest burning diesel truck on the market. That and with the use of my Bio Diesel (still checking to see if compatable) would make anyone who see my whole setup think I was one of those crazy whacked out redwood tree living not to come down until all of EVIL POLLUTING man was done away with, tree hugger. But I'm not. I question everything. I dont jump on any bandwagon period. All I see are a bunch of people who have pulled one of the biggest scams in the world on kind hearted Good people who really want the Earth to stay as clean as possible. Yet these people like Al Gore have preyed upon them and there hearts to decieve them into beliveing that the sky is falling. For what. Well follow the money trail. Al Gore gets well over $100,000 fora lecture. No cameras allowed No questions asked. Hes getting paid to basically promote his company. If you disagree with him then your an evil polluter! If theres no money invloved then its done out of the kindness of your heart. But thats not the case here. Yes the Earth along with every other planet in our system is warming up. Its natural. It will cool off again as it has always done. Man couldnt change the climate if he tried one way or another. I say do your best to keep the air and our waters clean but dont fall prey to these slick worded con artists.
                            Last edited by Snowcat Operations; 3rd December 2007, 19:14.

Comment

Well snowcat,

You kinda lost me at the "carbon credits" but what I find amazing is that people still have their heads firmly buried in the sand!!!!!!!! You don't work for one of those countries that refused to sign up to reduce greenhouse emissions do you?? Because that might explain a lot.

Have a nice day and nice chatting

psr

Comment

Working...
                              X