Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Global Warming Editorial Letter in Toronto Star - December 29, 2006 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming Editorial Letter in Toronto Star - December 29, 2006

Hi everyone,

Canada's largest daily newspaper, The Toronto Star, has published the following editorial letter today. The Toronto Star’s Friday edition has a circulation of about 450,000 and a readership in excess of 1 million, so this letter should certainly help to increase awareness in regards to global warming to the residents in Toronto as well as Canadians nation-wide.

Best wishes.
    Brazer
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Yaz Maziar: Letter to the Editor on Climate Crisis - 29/12/06:

www.thestar.com/opinion/article/165991

CLIMATE CHANGE
    Begin taking action now
    Now that the environment has become one of our chief concerns, it is time to start making changes

December 29, 2006

Re: 10 ways to reduce greenhouse gases, Editorial, Dec. 27.

In reading this editorial and the tips it presented for Canadians to begin reducing their individual greenhouse gas emissions, I was reminded of a statement made by former U.S. presidential candidate and long-time advocate for the environment, Al Gore, who poignantly said that if we were to recognize and acknowledge the issue of global warming and the corresponding environmental crisis it has created, then "the moral imperative to make big changes would be inescapable."

Now that we Canadians are prioritizing climate change as one of our chief concerns, it is, therefore, "inescapable" for us to begin to make changes, including those mentioned in the editorial. Those are certainly preliminary steps that we can all implement without much sacrifice. It is equally important to examine additional changes we can carry out to save even more energy and further reduce our carbon dioxide emissions immediately as well as in the longer term.

In addition to buying energy efficient light bulbs, we should also purchase energy efficient appliances. These include fridges, stoves, microwaves, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, televisions and computers. As well, turning off electronic devices instead of setting them to standby would further increase energy savings.

Weatherproofing our homes, including increasing insulation and getting an energy audit performed are other positive actions we can undertake.

Being consistent in using our blue boxes and green bins to recycle even more of our waste is another great step. Avoiding buying products with excess packaging would decrease household rubbish directly at the point of purchase.

For those who drive, consideration should be given to buying hybrid cars. Alternatively, switching to a vehicle with higher emission standards would also be an environmentally friendly choice. Better yet, simply drive less and when possible, walk, ride a bicycle or take public transit.

Those who have backyards should consider planting trees. Amazingly, just one tree has the ability to absorb one ton of carbon dioxide in its lifetime.

And finally, we need to vote for political leaders who will place the environment at the top of their priority list.

Future generations are depending on us to begin the fight against global warming. It is incumbent upon all of us to begin taking action now.

Yaz Maziar, Toronto
    Last edited by Paul Ward; 13th January 2007, 20:00.

Re: Global Warming Editorial Letter in Toronto Star - December 29, 2006

Hi Brazer and welcome to the board.

Thanks for the post, pleased to see that the idea that we are all in a position to do something is finally taking hold properly (especially in North America).

Here's my own take on the subject:

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarc..._the_poles.htm

I intend to quantify it more shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ward
      Hi Brazer and welcome to the board.

Thanks for the post, pleased to see that the idea that we are all in a position to do something is finally taking hold properly (especially in North America).

Here's my own take on the subject:

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarc..._the_poles.htm

I intend to quantify it more shortly.
      Hello Paul,

Thank you very kindly for your warm welcome. I did visit the link you posted, and I was quite impressed with the content and detail with which you have presented the topic. I especially liked your point #8 pertaining to what businesses can do to address this issue...Well done.

You have offered much more detail in your forum, than I could have hoped to have done with an editorial letter, which is size limited.

As it pertains to my piece, it bears mentioning that editorial letters in The Star are anywhere from 50-150 words typically, with one lead letter of a maximum of 300 words. I was very fortunate that they published my piece in its entirety of over 400 words, and they also published a very large photo along with it (a polar bear family - which scientists are suggesting could be becoming endangered due to global warming). So I think it got as much exposure as one could have hoped.

Also on another personal note, last month the lease was up on my V6 vehicle, so I returned it, and ordered a 2007 Prius...As you very likely know, that vehicle is rated #1 here in North American for fuel efficiency.

I had one further comment regarding the info on the forum you created...in your point #3, where you discuss the relative CO2 emissions of various vehicles, I note that you did not include any hybrid cars...Perhaps you might consider putting the specs in for a car like the Prius? That would help further educate people in regards to lower CO2 emitting vehicles on the market.

Best to you,

Yaz Maziar

2007 Toyota Prius:
      CO2 Emissions
      CVT Transmission: 1969 Kg/year

The above is the emission info (you will have to convert the numbers
      to your standards).
      Last edited by Paul Ward; 13th January 2007, 20:01.

Comment

Hi Yaz,

Businesses are in a position to do a huge amount about reducing energy wasteage, the problem is that they are in business to make money and being fast-and-dirty generally makes more money than being clean and careful. There are a few businesses that are clean and ethical, but they are tiny in real terms, both in size and number.

Things won't change fully until governments seize the initiative and introduce legislation to force business to fall in line - sticking to the Kyoto Protocol for instance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

In my experience any business manager is generally scared to try anything different in case it affects the bottom line, however nebulous the connection might be. Raising awareness is part of the problem, though I am about as aware now as I was 20 years ago, whereas many others are just as unaware as they were despite the continuous publicity.

Maybe if people start to actually SEE things happening, things will change, there are definite signs here in Europe with winter being shorter and warmer than it used to be and many effects on wildlife and flora.

Thanks for the suggestion and info on the Prius, I will add it when I find how it was I came up with the first set of figures again!

Comment

I think companies should reduce their packaging and if not, they should pay a penalty for excess packaging. Plastic bags should be elimanated and the consumer should be responsible for packing their goods, like in
          Europe, by way, of canvas bags, re-usuable and better for the environment.
          All need to participate in reducing garbage and being more environmental friendly in business and at home. We are all responsible for Mother Earth.

Comment

Global warming debunked
            By ANDREW SWALLOW - The Timaru Herald | Saturday, 19 May 2007

Climate change will be considered a joke in five years time, meteorologist Augie Auer told the annual meeting of Mid Canterbury Federated Farmers in Ashburton this week.

Man's contribution to the greenhouse gases was so small we couldn't change the climate if we tried, he maintained.

"We're all going to survive this. It's all going to be a joke in five years," he said.

A combination of misinterpreted and misguided science, media hype, and political spin had created the current hysteria and it was time to put a stop to it.

"It is time to attack the myth of global warming," he said.

Water vapour was responsible for 95 per cent of the greenhouse effect, an effect which was vital to keep the world warm, he explained.

"If we didn't have the greenhouse effect the planet would be at minus 18 deg C but because we do have the greenhouse effect it is plus 15 deg C, all the time."

The other greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide, methane, nitrogen dioxide, and various others including CFCs, contributed only five per cent of the effect, carbon dioxide being by far the greatest contributor at 3.6 per cent.

However, carbon dioxide as a result of man's activities was only 3.2 per cent of that, hence only 0.12 per cent of the greenhouse gases in total. Human-related methane, nitrogen dioxide and CFCs etc made similarly minuscule contributions to the effect: 0.066, 0.047 and 0.046 per cent respectively.

"That ought to be the end of the argument, there and then," he said.

"We couldn't do it (change the climate) even if we wanted to because water vapour dominates."

Yet the Greens continued to use phrases such as "The planet is groaning under the weight of CO2" and Government policies were about to hit industries such as farming, he warned.

"The Greens are really going to go after you because you put out 49 per cent of the countries emissions. Does anybody ask 49 per cent of what? Does anybody know how small that number is?

"It's become a witch-hunt; a Salem witch-hunt," he said.

Comment

By ANDREW SWALLOW - The Timaru Herald

So who is Andrew Swallow? why should we trust or believe him?

What is the Timaru Herald?

Do you have any personal opionions?

Comment

Working...
              X