X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why it's too late stop global warming

I read an article on global warming stating that it is way too late to stop global warming, too late by far. Here is the link:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgibin/article...NGP4B7GC91.DTL

Despite the fact that I consider myself to be an eternal optimist, I personally think it's way too late to stop global warming. Nonetheless, we can at the very least reduce it by carpooling, recycling waste, and planting trees. While all this good and fine, it still will not stop or reverse it. Therefore, I think it's equally important to reinvest in the space program because we will reach a point where the Earth will become as hot as Venus, there will at least be a 10 to 20 degree raise before it levels off. We will see island nations like Japan and England literally dissappear under the waves, most likely what will be left will be the major mountain region which will become islands. Places like planes and coast will be gone, almost 80% of present land mass. I would imagine that those who wish to remain on Earth will eventually have to use genetic engineering and gene therapy, thereby speeding up their evolutionary process and eventually evolving into a new species. They will be tall and thin in order to adapt to high temperature and permit better cooling. Plus they would have larger lung capacity due to less oxygen and would perhaps make them capable of surviving in water for long periods of time.

Thoughts anyone?

Whitestar

Re: Why it's too late stop global warming

My pessimistic side causes me to relunctantly agree. The easiest thing to do for reducing co2 levels would be shutting down coal plants and using nuclear, but I doubt we'll do that in time. The real ticking bomb isn't melting ice exposing more dark surfaces, but rather methane hydrate deposits. As the ocean temperature increases, these methane hydrate desposits will begin to erupt adding ever more greenhouse gasses to the atmosphere. At the same time you also have the permafrost melting, turning frozen tundra into vast swamps that emit tons of co2 as they decay.

I think enviromentalists and scientists should consider what would be the best plan IF global warming continues. It may be a very very long time before antarctica becomes desireable for habitation, however it would also be an opportunity to keep at least 1 continent free of industrial development.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan
      My pessimistic side causes me to relunctantly agree. The easiest thing to do for reducing co2 levels would be shutting down coal plants and using nuclear, but I doubt we'll do that in time. The real ticking bomb isn't melting ice exposing more dark surfaces, but rather methane hydrate deposits.
      It's interesting that you mentioned that because I have here a link on the subject:

Broken link removed

By the way, the link I posted way above is not available, but I found the correct one. Here it is:

.....another broken link removed

Whitestar
      Last edited by Paul Ward; 12th April 2006, 10:22. Reason: Links don't work

Comment

i keep thinking your links might work but they don't and it's kinda funny.

Comment

"The real ticking bomb isn't melting ice exposing more dark surfaces, but rather methane hydrate deposits."

might this be the real truth behind the burmuda triangle? but then it doesn't explain why planes and ships radar go wacky as they enter.....i know what your all thinking electro magnetics right....?

Comment

The global warming issue may or may not be really going on. We simply do not have enough information to say for sure. Does it seem like the tempuratures in the USA are up? I say they are up, but we rarely hit recorded highs, or set new ones. I had a gentleman tell me last month that the global weather patterns are very similar to what we know of the ones in the 1930's and 40's. Known locally as the "Dust Bowl years".
            The earths weather is still too complicated for us to completely understand yet. I can take 2 digital thermometers of the same make and manufacture and get a 1 or 2 degree difference in the exact same spot. So summarizing here, we know too little and have unreliable information to say anything for sure. The earth is billions of years old and we have been here 25 to 30 thousand. We know nothing of the earths ups and downs. There is CO2 levels trapped in ice at the polar caps. We look at this small amount of evidence and say we know for sure what was going on thousands of years ago. We may be right, but who can say? No one. If you believe that CO2 in mass in the atmosphere is what is causing a warm up on a global scale I say do something about it and PLANT TREES. This will not fix it today,but tomorrow might be better.

Comment

plant rotting corpse flowers at gas stations

Comment

yes...too late...saw this the other day...no more icecream...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bgmark_quik/truck1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X