Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do to reduce global warming?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do to reduce global warming?

Not what you intend to, or think other people should do, but honestly what do you do now?
    I cycle or walk where I used to drive more
    21.74%
    I've got a car that uses less fuel than my old one
    17.39%
    I turn things off around the house instead of leaving them on stand-by
    30.43%
    I've insulated my house to use less energy
    17.39%
    Nothing or virtually nothing
    13.04%

Re: What do you do to reduce global warming?

For now I am taking one step at at time to learn about the issues regarding global warming. I am making a commitment to do something helpful everyday for "Mother Earth" by recycling at business and home, conserving energy,
    not wasting water, and reaching out by learning what else I can do to be of help, i.e. support groups, fund-raising, etc. To acknowledge and have knowledge of global warming is the first step in helping to make a difference
    Please offer any suggestions as to how we can help. I want to learn how to become involved. Is there a basic list to reduce global warming?

Comment

http://www.architecture2030.org/

i find sites like this and then i get jealous that is what i do.

Comment

and this one.......can not believe there is a toy such as this. the description is well interesting...do read!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Uni...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Pirates Armada, you would be astounded at the trash companies are passing off as "toys". As a parent birthdays etc are a nightmare. It's so hard to convince your own kids that you can't play with a particular when the answer is "but so and so's mum and dad let him!!"
          Maybe there should be a campaign to rid the world of vile toys once and for all...with a toy like that who needs another world war?
          By the way, this site has been the most helpful site I have been on since I discovered the net!

psr

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how to drive this thing........
            psr

Comment

drive a car? i'd rather not.

Comment

I have a hybrid car
                It doesnt exactly fix the problem, but helps alleviate it a little.

Comment

I'm sorry if I sound defeatist but at present we do very little. We recycle a little but only because it seems like a sensible thing to do. Why waste when things can be re-used? I used to wear jeans for ten years, you know, patches upon patches upon patches!

There's so much hypocrisy. Whats the point not leaving things on standby when thousands of companies are wasting huge amounts of electricity on a daily basis? Its the same with recycling. I'm told to recycle paper when companies are throwing away skips full per week. It looks like its down to you and me again to sort the problem out because the managers and MD's of this world don't seem to give a damn! The more educated people are the less they seem to care. Money also plays a big role whereby the richer someone is the less inclined they are to recycle, I see it every day. Take a look at a millionaires home. Cooling drawers, 60inch plasma screens, five 4 litre cars on the drive, high power security lights left on all over the place sometimes 24hrs. Its ridiculous!

At the end of the day, I don't think enough people will do enough recycling to bring about a big enough effect even if its possible to reverse the trend. The temperature regulating systems of this planet are far more powerful than anything we can do. A nuclear winter is probably the biggest change we can muster. Maybe thats what will stop global warming, its only a matter of time before we start throwing those missiles about. I think a runaway hot planet scenario is a little melodramatic to say the least. It didn't happen in the highly volcanic periods in history for instance. Think of the methane from all those vegesaurs too. One nice big global catastrophy and everything will spring back to normal. We will survive because thats what humans are experts at! Maybe we survive too well, if you catch my drift?

Comment

Hi Funky,

You have a very good point about the amount of waste caused by industry, it is a pet peeve of mine in fact.

It requires a cultural change which will take many years, but at the moment it seems to be that if I can do something that will make me and my business money, then I am somehow enobled by doing it.

Pay $1,000 on a business trip that makes me $10,000, then obviously I will do it. If I fly instead of driving or even better take the train - who cares, it earned me money and sod the world.

Currently the polluter doesn't pay, but all that pollution is building up into a giant metaphorical garbage heap that slowly but surely is becoming unstable and will one day start to slide towards town unless we do something about it.

Your're right about the rich being the worst culprits too. The greater the resources the greater the usage and waste. Some figures I came across recently in terms of hectares of productive land or sea to resource the lifestyle of one person:

India - 0.7
                    China - 1.6
                    Brazil - 2.1
                    UK - 5.6
                    USA - 9.7

I know that's not quite what you meant, but it's very easy to excuse doing little by pointing to others. Compared to the vast majority of the world - we are the rich.

Comment

Well, I know I'm being a pesimist again but now you've given me the figures to prove that we are fighting a losing battle. It doesn't matter whether you're rich or poor, if you happen to be of that mindset then you will not give a damn. I've seen rich people live like paupers because of their care for the environment and I've seen idiots who barely have enough to live on behaving as though they were millionaires, using disposable plates and cups to avoid washing up, and driving around in guzzlers and using the council recycling bin as a flowerpot!! Your blood boils and you move on!! I don't think we're making any big improvements but at least we're feeling better about ourselves so when the world self-destructs we'll be the ones saying "I told you so!!". But, that won't make it better!

The good think about the website is that it lets you get it off your chest!

psr

Comment

Hi Psr!

Well ya see life is like a box of chocolates atleast it is in my country according to Pauls graph which looks accurate, what about developing countries.....yikes!!!! To combat your pessimism i do feel there is a lot being done. Maybe not enough who the heck knows. I would lean towards not enough but the word is DEFINANTLY out there. I was just inspired by the work that is being done on the Tesla electric car. 60mph in 4 seconds, pretty cool. Suppost to be a production car too. Named after the electro magnetic guru. I think the interest is there and the technology will for sure follow. So take that

Comment

I guess the Maglev train that the UK conservatives are proposing is a step in the right direction. It should directly and indirectly produce far less pollution. Problem is the government can't get the existing railway network running properly so this Maglev train sounds like yet another expensive pie in the sky idea funded by the British tax payer! They'll still break down and they'll still run late. The latest daft idea from the train companies is issuing their staff with watches which are automatically updated by wireless from the super accurate nuclear clocks. Do they honestly think this is going to get trains running on time? Bunch of idiots if you ask me! More trains and upgrade the signalling system..aagh...but that costs lots of money. The shareholders won't like that one bit!

I know lots of people will disagree strongly with this but isn't nuclear power, at present, the only option for efficient cheap energy without the associated pollution caused by fossil fuel burning power stations? Even when Chernobyl went critical the assumed aftermath of thousands dying from the fall-out never happened. The dangers are blown out of all proportion by the media who continue to terrify people just to sell newspapers. Who are the terrorists?
                          Just ask yourself how many nuclear power stations are there worldwide, then how many people have died to date directly as a result of having nuclear power stations? They seem pretty safe to me! You are far more likely to die driving your car to and from work than you are from any nuclear accident. Want to sell your car?

Comment

Funky and Pirates,

I stand solemnly chastised and shall endeavour to proceed with more optimism in the future. Man, can you guys rattle off facts or what?????

As for the whole nuclear issue, I would prefer that nuclear power was used for life rather than weapons. I'm not sure how the whole nuclear power thing works (remember I never finished my science degree), but what happens if some countries abuse that privilege and turn these power stations into something else?? Who keeps watch and wouldn't be too dangerous from that regard?? There is a nuclear reactor about 45 min drive from where I live (Sydney). When it was first established (before I was born) the people of Sydney were told that it was for research and to produce energy. To date, no energy has been produced and now it seems the focus has switched and it is now supposedly used for medical research. Of course, there are many rumours that most of what the public has been told is bulls***, but who can say otherwise. I guess I'm making a point in a very long-winded kind of way, but nuclear power has always scared me not because of the accidents that can be caused because like you said, the odds of that happening aren't that great, but the other uses of nuclear energy are a worry. Australia is currently considering nuclear power but unfortunately my kids never let me listen long enough to understand the whole story!!!

Well, nice chatting and Even though I feel like I am fighting a losing battle I will keep using my washing water to water the plants and patching my jeans and not using my dishwasher and waiting until I have a full load before I do the washing and recycling etc etc etc

psr

Comment

psr, when you think about it, weapons have always been sold by the ship-load to those country's you mention. Then as soon as we start talking nuclear everyone gets scared!
                              Take away the media & political one-upmanship and you'll find that we all just want to get on with our lives whether we be christian, muslim, buddhist, atheist or whatever.

Work with these people, help them, let them see you want to be their friends and the threats and fear will disappear. Why on earth shouldn't these country's be allowed to build their own nuclear power sources? They have their own burgeoning populations greedy for cheap, long lasting power.

At the end of the day who fears who the most? The west have thousands of nuclear warheads already and all we keep doing is "threatening" those country's who are trying to progress! All that helpful forgiving christian spirit seems to disappear when arab and nuclear are mentioned in the same sentence. I see a nuclear future, whether its a good one or a bad one is up to us and keep threatening to overthrow governments because they don't do things the way we want them to is not the way to go about it!

Only when I see the mushroom clouds rise will I admit I was wrong, until then we have to try and work together for a better future, thats what humanity is all about aint it?

Comment

Working...
                              X