X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for Sir Vivian's Sno-Cat

I caught this programme on BBC2 during my lunch hour - People's Museum. You get to vote on which exhibit goes into the museum (I think - lunch hours are usually a bit rushed so I only got the tale end of it). Anyway there was a lot on TAE and Sir Vivian Fuch's Sno-Cat is one of the possible exhibits - there's more on the BBC website if anyone is interested in having a look. He was another great explorer.

Re: Vote for Sir Vivian's Sno-Cat

Thanks for that Carys, vote here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/program...um/week2.shtml

Comment

Paul,
      I was fascinated and I couldn't help but look at the objects that are up for voting....maybe it's just me but I fail to see or understand why a "bomb" - a thing of destruction and human suffering, would be honoured in a museum???? Am I missing some basic point here or is living in Australia away from the rest of the world impairing my judgment in some way? PLease explain?

psr

By the way, the teaching project is coming along nicely and I have received some feedback from colleagues.....I should be able to send something soon. My students have almost finished their powerpoint presentations and I'm so proud of them....I had to share with someone!

Comment

Hi psr,

Originally posted by psr
        maybe it's just me but I fail to see or understand why a "bomb" - a thing of destruction and human suffering, would be honoured in a museum???? Am I missing some basic point here or is living in Australia away from the rest of the world impairing my judgment in some way? PLease explain?
        It's a part of the British psyche that is pretty baffling outside of the British Isles I guess. It's not that it's a bomb, it's that it represents a time when Britain was pretty much alone in facing the fascist threat - and Britain decided that failure was not an option. The "Dambusters" represent the best of Britains technology, tenacity and fighting spirit in the face of unwarranted aggression. I could go on, but maybe that would better in a pm than on this board.

...the teaching project is coming along nicely and I have received some feedback from colleagues.....I should be able to send something soon. My students have almost finished their powerpoint presentations and I'm so proud of them....I had to share with someone!
        Glad to hear it. I'm on half term this week and I've made a decision that I'm going to get a major part of my own presentation completed. So if you could pm or email me your address, I'll send you a disc of the first draft (except it'll be about take 5 or 6 by then!)

Comment

Dear Paul,
          Thank you in advance. I think it's always nice for teachers to see what's going on somewhere else. Even within our own countries we tend to do things differently, so I can imagine what it would be like across the globe!! I'll send my address to you through the private e-mail.

Psr

Comment

Working...
          X