X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Novel...

For anyone interested in Shackleton, please read my new novel - a fantasy based in part on his feud with Scott, at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Amaring
    Just open the file section and it should appear...it does for me!
    The book is, by the way, a fantasy...I use history as a starting point and then just meander....

Did Shackleton have a feud with Scott? They had differences, but feud?

I removed the link as it just went to a page that seemed nothing to do with where you said it would.

Comment

this story about shackelton sounds interesting. i know nothing about him. looks like i have some reading to do. who was scott though? i imagine one of his trustworthy co harts.

Comment

Re: New Novel..

Book is in the file section of the group 'Amaring'- doesn't matter....
        As to Shack's feud with Captain Scott, it stemmed from Scotts claiming priority in McMurdo sound after his 'Discovery' expedition landed there. Shack promised Scott to land somewhere else when he returned to Antarctica in 1907-09, but circumstance forced him to change plans..thus in Scotts eyes breaking the promise. Apparently the two men never saw eye to eye again. For what its worth, that's my interpretation of the literature. Its true that Roland Huntford builds it all up in his books about the two men.

Comment

Spaceshiner, I'd be interested to see what you have written, you should be able to go back to your original post and add the link as an edit. Either give a direct link to the page, or if this is not possible, give instructions on how to get there. I followed, the link, joined the group and still couldn't work out how to see the file.

How about posting a couple of hundred words in this thread as a tempter and then have the link.

I have considered myself writing some historical novel or short story, but (apart from time), there's the fact that there are so many existing amazing true stories about the period already!

I'm not that great a fan of Huntford, his biographies are excellent, no doubts about that, but it's in the interpretation that he falls down for me. He seems in some cases to decide on a viewpoint and write to substantiate that viewpoint rather than let the subject open up and explain itself.

Comment

Sorry you had trouble Paul -the link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Amaring
            Just open the file section and it should appear...it does for me!
            The book is, by the way, a fantasy...I use history as a starting point and then just meander....

Comment

Working...
            X