Born into a well to do family, his father was Frederick
Barne, Member of Parliament for East Suffolk, his mother
was Lady Constance Adelaide Seymour, the daughter of Francis
Seymour, the 5th Marquess of Hertford.
He was educated at Stubbington School
with the plan of joining the Navy on leaving when he joined
the training ship "Britannia". Barne served with
Scott aboard the "Majestic" where he impressed
his future commander:
him, as he proved to be, especially fitted for a voyage
where there were elements of danger and difficulty."
Michael Barne was appointed second lieutenant
on the Discovery, a rank to which he had only just been
promoted on his previous vessel. He trained at the Ben Nevis
Observatory in the winter of 1900 specifically for the Discovery
expedition where he took a course in magnetism.
He took responsibility for magnetometry
and depth soundings also participating in several sledge
journeys making copious notes throughout his three years
with the expedition. He was awarded the Polar Medal for
his contributions and efforts to the expedition.
On return from the Antarctic in 1904 Barne was married
and returned to active service in the Royal Navy with the
command of the Coquette. In the First World War he was awarded
the DSO (Distinguished Service Order) following service
in the Dardanelles and Dover patrol.
In 1914 he was awarded the Royal Humane Society's silver
medal for diving overboard and attempting to rescue a sailor
during a gale in the Atlantic.
While he retired from the Navy in 1919 with the rank
of Captain, he returned during the Second World War to take
command of an anti-submarine patrol ship.
Born 15th October 1877 at Sotterly Park, Suffolk - died
31st may 1961, the last surviving member of the Discovery
Landmarks named after Michael Barne
Description: Steep, rocky bluff rising to 120 m between
Cape Royds and Cape Evans on the W side of Ross Island.
Steep glacier which descends from the W slopes of Mount
Erebus and terminates on the W side of Ross Island between
Cape Barne and Cape Evans where it forms a steep ice cliff.
Discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition,
1901-04, under Scott. Named by the British Antarctic Expedition,
1907-09, under Shackleton after nearby Cape Barne.
A reentrant about 17 mi wide occupied by the lower part
of Byrd Glacier, lying between Cape Kerr and Cape Selborne
on the W side of the Ross Ice Shelf. Discovered by the British
National Antarctic Expedition (1901-04) named for Lt. Michael
Barne, who with Sub-Lt. George F.A. Mulock, RN, mapped the
coastline this far south in 1903.